DH Mosquito B bomb aimer

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi again Rijnko. I've just had a reply from Bob Kirkpatrick in the 'States. He seems to think it would be located on the starboard side. Micdrow, any chance you can persuade them to let you have a peek by explaining what Stirling is trying to do? They might give you a minute or two, under supervision, if you call them first. That is, of course, if the panel is in place in that B35, which I think is the ex-Strathallan Mossie, bought by Kermit Weeks?
Terry.

Hi again Rijnko. I've just had a reply from Bob Kirkpatrick in the 'States. He seems to think it would be located on the starboard side. Micdrow, any chance you can persuade them to let you have a peek by explaining what Stirling is trying to do? They might give you a minute or two, under supervision, if you call them first. That is, of course, if the panel is in place in that B35, which I think is the ex-Strathallan Mossie, bought by Kermit Weeks?
Terry.

Hi Terry,

You are indeed correct. This is the mosquito owned by Kermit Weeks thats on permiment display at the EAA museum. Unfortuenly I have asked a couple of times to get inside but they wont let any one inside for fear of them falling through. I guess Kermit Weeks would like to bring it home but they are afraid that if they started the engines it would shake itself apart.

I suppose I could try an email and see what kind of response I get. Maybe Im talking to the wrong people.

I can see their point, as I seem to recall the aircraft was very badly damaged in a hurricane, or tornado, quite a few years back. Also, they probably get loads of requests from people, not all of whom appreciate aircraft, to have a look inside. However, if you can get someone even remotely on the 'right side' of the business, explain who you are, what you are, and why you need to have a peek, I think they might turn out to be more helpful. Approached correctly, it's amazing what otherwise 'closed' organisations will do to help. It even got me working closely, and flying with, the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, over two air show seasons, in order to make a 35mm multi-projector slide presentation on the 'Flight. They got so used to my presence, that I was given jobs to do! It's worth trying, even if you can only stick your head up through the floor hatch and point a camera into the nose. If the panel isn't there anymore, the base for the mount probably will be, as they tended to be (but not always) bonded to the wooden wall or floor. Let's know how you get on.
Cheers for now, and thanks for the help so far.
Terry.

Thanks guys for your help to solve the problem.
I have looked at all those hundreds of pictures at Downviews already some time ago, but alas no inside nose-section photo found. Cheers, Rijnko.

Hi, Rijnko. Having looked again at the Salisbury Hall B35 pics on 'detailpics' site, and despite what I've already suggested, something has just occured to me. As the 'automatic' selector panel etc was mounted on the port side on this particular aircraft, and assuming that the selector panel and bombsight you have are matched, and both from the SAME aircraft, could it not be that the one you have, being 'mechanical' and therefore slightly smaller overall, would have been mounted in the same place? It's just a thought, and, meanwhile, I'm trying to remember where I read some info on the SABS bombsight in relation to the Mosquito. Also, I've got some footage on VCR tape, that MIGHT give me a clue; I'm just waiting for a friend to transfer it to DVD. Got to be careful though, as the tape also contains the original footage of the Shell House raid, which is probably still copyright of the Imperial War Museum, although I think Crown Copyright has now expired; it was provided on trust of not lending or such like, for research in '94. If the footage turns up anything, I'll let you know asap.
Terry.

When I saw the photo's on detailpics site I thought at first that the bomb aimers panel would have been fixed on that place on the left side.
But as you mentioned before it would be very difficult for the bomb aimer to operate the panel there with his left hand and a massive bomb sight situated directly in front of the panel. Looking at the drawing of Micdrow which shows a bombsighting computer on the same place and the bomb distributor panel on the floor I thought the museum might have placed the panel temporarily on the left side to avoid damaging when it was kept on the floor, but this is only a guess. Hopefully the VCR tape can give a clue. Regards Rijnko.

Hi again Rijnko. I've just done a double-check on something that was bugging me slightly, and can now confirm my thoughts; the Salisbury Hall 'B35' is actually a TT35, the target-tug version of the same Mark, restored as a bomber. Whether this will have any bearing on the bomb panel location is, of course, open to speculation. Whilst we are waiting for my VHS tape to be transferred to DVD, here's a site provided by Bob Kirkpatrick that might prove helpful. I've had a quick look, without anything conclusive coming to light, but a question to their forum might help?
The site is:- mossie.org
You might already know of it, but at least it's something.
Regards, Terry.

Hi Terry,
Your information seems to support my guess that the bomb aimers panel in the Salisbury Hall B35 only is placed right up on the left side temporarily. Probably they reconstructed the floor and removed the bomb aimers panel as it had no use for a TT. The panel could be donated later and is waiting for refixing in the floor. Again my guess.
I have asked Andy Dawson of Mossie.org for help about this problem on 19-1-2008, but alas no reply at all. Last week I have send an inquiry to the Mosquito Aircraft Organisation of Australia . Hopefully they will answer.
Cheers, Rijnko

O.K., Rijnko, we'll just have to keep at it! On the VHS tape I'm waiting to have converted, there are some (colour) movie shots from the nose of a BIX, or possibly a BXVI or B35, can't quite remember as it's some years since I last viewed it. I'm hoping that this might show something helpful.
You might have already tried this, but an appeal in 'Flypast' magazine, in the 'Flypost' Q&A section, might come up with something? I would suggest a heading that would attract the attention of former Mosquito aircrew/groundcrew. I'm still trying to locate the information I saw about the bombsight, as this might have some relevance to the use of the computer/selector, and I'm almost sure the use of the SABS had something to do with the use of the 4,000 pound 'cookies'.
I'll carry on searching every avenue I can think of, as this is driving me nuts! Must be worse for you!
Cheers, Terry.

O.K. Terry, thanks. Yes, you are right; it is quite frustrating that there are nice photo's of the bomb aimer's position of the Lancaster and Stirling bomber available, but the famous Mosquito did not get attention at all this point.
But the positive thing is that I could add a lot of very nice Mosquitobooks on my bookshelf. This week I received the C.Martin Sharp, Faber publishers, Mosquitobook. Very comprehensive; a great book, but again not the wanted photo. So I have to postpone the building of a Mosquito nosesection for a while, but that is not so bad as I still have to finish my Spitfire Mk IIb cockpitsection. Cheers, Rijnko.

Hi Rijnko, I've just found this picture. Notice that the bomb sight is the 'course setting' type, which is taking up a LOT of room. the SABS , being bigger, would take up even more room, so perhaps the control was on the sidewall. But, if you look at the right hand side, to the right and on top of the 'V' shaped bracket, that looks very like a selector panel, don't you think?
My friend has had problems trying to convert the VHS tape to DVD, he thinks it his equipment at fault. Therefore, as soon as I can find a local place to do the conversion, I'll get it done. If it proves to have some useful evidence, it will probably be better if I send you a copy on CD, then you can study it at your leisure. I think you'll like it, as it includes 'Mosquito Airborne', plus a 'Yesterdays Witness' programme from 1974 about the 'Shell House' raid, and the actual film footage of the raid I was provided with to do the painting. But, you must not show the latter, or publish it, as it is under copyright.
BTW, your Spitfire cockpit is superb, it's the sort of thing i would like if I had the room for it!
Send me a PM with your address, e-mail etc, when you can, so that I can get the CD to you when it's done.
Regards, Terry.

Attachments

• mossie nose.jpg
    mossie nose.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 180
Hi Terry, Thanks for the Mosquito picture. I have seen the equipment on the right sight, but it doesn't look like one of the sides of my panel. It looks more like an electrical plug/connector panel, I think. Also I wonder if the B. MK 35 still has used a course setting bombsight. It was quite obsolete in 1945 when the Mk 35 was built, I presume. There was a better alternative by a computer bombsight as you know.
If you could send me your CD that would be great. I look forward to it.
I'll send you a PM with my address right away. Regards Rijnko.

Just found another picture, this time of a BXVI. Notice there are yet more differences but, look at the bottom left of the nose blister. The 'box' there is the same as the one seen on the right (port) side in the last picture I posted, and I'm virtually sure that this is the switch panel. Can't quite make out the equipment in the centre of the nose, but I think it is part of the SABS, although the eyepiece is not visible. Perhaps it will match up with the information/equipment you have.

Attachments

• Mossie nose 2.jpg
    Mossie nose 2.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 173
Hi Terry,
Thanks again for your efforts to find a solution to this problem. It is rather confuzing with all those existing diffent pictures only through the glazed nose. All we need is a clear picture from the inside to be sure. Your last photo looks like it shows a bomb aimers panel fixed on the floor in forward position on the right side with the switches on top of it; just like Micdrow's drawing of a B. Mk 35 nose section. I think we have to choose for this option at the moment. Cheers Rijnko.

Hi Rijnko, I think you're right. I still haven't got the VHS tape transfered to DVD, as I'm trying to find a place that will do it at reasonable cost. It shouldn't be long now though, I'll let you know soon as possible.
Cheers, Terry.

I hope you succeed in finding an address to transfer the VHS to DVD at a reasonable cost. I look forward to it. Of course I'll pay for the DVD with shippingcosts. I have received a reply from the Mosquito Aircraft Association of Australia. They direct me to the most fruitful source: the book DH Mosquito; a comprehensive guide for the modeller by Richard A Frank. I think they are right it gives the most details of all books about Mosquito. The drawing of Micdrow is also from this book. Alas the wanted inside photo can not be found in this book. They too keep looking for it and let me know when found. So more people are searching and hopefully one day the problem can be solved. Cheers Rijnko.

Hi again Rijnko. So far, the cheapest I can get the DVD made is over £50!!!
But, there is one more avenue I can try before I give up. If not, all I can suggest is that I send you the original VHS cassette, assuming that you can view it; but, of course, I must have it back eventually.
if I CAN get a DVD made, it will be better, as you can view it on your P.C. and capture whichever frame(s) you want. I regret, though, that I am not prepared to pay that amount for something that might not be there! I'm sure you will understand. If you would like the VHS version, let me know, and I'll send it to you as soon as possible. But, I want to check out this last possibility first.
regards, Terry.

Hi Terry,
Isn't it the cheapest way to copy your VHS on a VHS cassette instead of on DVD and send me this one ? We also save one time shippingcosts then. What do you think? Cheers Rijnko.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back