Did Chamberlain's "Peace for our time" make a difference to the air war?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Stona, I'll leave this one alone afterwards as too off topic.

just a quick post..its become a bit of an in joke amongst a few of us about England ( Britain) and her colonies.
I have my tongue firmly planted in my cheek when calling the Americans 'colonials' .

just for the record without our 'colonial' friends...all of them, every single man jack...my generation could well be speaking German.

John

The Scandinavian Vikings became the English. The Angles who gave their name to the nation were themselves invaders/settlers. You can't pay people off indefinitely! The Normans themselves were thoroughly assimilated within three generations.
Middle English is certainly not Norman French,neither is it any Germanic tongue. It is new language synthesised from both.
The words used in the languages of England's Gaelic neighbours,Scottish "Sasanach",Welsh "Saeson" to name the English are infact derived from the word "Saxon".
Steve

Last edited:
No one mention the USSR yet.

What would Stalin do in 1938?

yes, good point, but there's not much he could do in time of war, he was too busy imprisoning his best generals and soldiers in gulags! The general population were suffering under enforced collectivisation, therefore those who were not killed or imprisoned for opposing it were starving to death.

Airframe designed to a British specification
The Mustang was designed for a British requirement, not a British specification. No specification existed for NAA to build the prototype.

No one mention the USSR yet.

What would Stalin do in 1938?

Go through even more 7.62 bullets wiping out his treacherous Army Officer corp. His paranoia seemed to be at its height around this time and a war would probably have tipped him right over the edge. By the time he had finished the Berlin ladies knitting circle could have probably reached Moscow.

But that raises an interesting question...1938 was the latter end of the Great Purge which commenced the year before. Would Hitler have been better placed to invade the Soviet Union in 1938 and ignore Western Europe? I can't think of a better time to attack a country than when it's in the middle of internal strife. The Franco-Soviet Treaty of Mutual Assistance is what prompted Hitler to focus on Western Europe in the first place so, overall, it's probably an unlikely scenario...but had Hitler gone after the USSR in 1938 would France have declared war on Germany? Perhaps not. That would have pitted the relatively small Luftwaffe (with half the fighter force still equipped with biplanes) against the Soviet air force's I-15s and I-16s - would have made an interesting contest and my money would still be with the Luftwaffe.

But that raises an interesting question...1938 was the latter end of the Great Purge which commenced the year before. Would Hitler have been better placed to invade the Soviet Union in 1938 and ignore Western Europe? I can't think of a better time to attack a country than when it's in the middle of internal strife. The Franco-Soviet Treaty of Mutual Assistance is what prompted Hitler to focus on Western Europe in the first place so, overall, it's probably an unlikely scenario...but had Hitler gone after the USSR in 1938 would France have declared war on Germany? Perhaps not. That would have pitted the relatively small Luftwaffe (with half the fighter force still equipped with biplanes) against the Soviet air force's I-15s and I-16s - would have made an interesting contest and my money would still be with the Luftwaffe.

Would it be possible to attack the SU without attacking any other country 1st? How far would the Germans reached without PZ-III/IV, Czech tanks other equipment, with ill motorized army, without Finland, Romania, Hungary as allies, no bases in Poland, Romania Baltic states, while still giving the support for Franco? They have almost no Navy to support them along the Baltic coast. The Germany was reaching for Czechoslovakia because it was gold-stripped, hoping to acquire Czech gold reserves. If the Germans pour through Belarus, The Pripet Marshes still act as the wall guarding the Ukrainian factories; this time the Germans cannot have another pincer hooking along Black Sea coast. Norway is free, so the Soviet cargo ships have no problems to ship goods via Atlantic. The front line north of Leningrad is non existant - Red Army can better concentrate between Baltic Pripet Marshes.
Soviets still have better tanks, artillery, the SB-2 is still viable vs. German fighters, VVS is even more numerous vs. LW back then, so the I-15,-16 -153 will do.

Germany was still working out the Blitzkrieg tactics in 1939, reaching proficiency in 1940. Without that, they will have to practice it vs. Soviet union - not the best thing to do.

Last edited:
A war with France and UK and Czechoslovakia and Soviet Union is called 2 front war and the Germans would have been sunk.

End of Hitler. Even German generals like Halder and Beck and Brauachstich may have overthrown him.

War against Germany in 1938 was a gimme. We waited until 1940 when Germany had the guns and the allies and trued then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back