Did the US miss an opportunity in 1940?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Stalin knew that the ultimate economic challenge for the USSR was the USA - and for Communism to triumph over Capitalism(militarily) he needed the technology, discipline and industry of Germany. It was only a matter of time before Hitler and Stalin went "at it". :)

Had Russia attacked Germany in 1942 I doubt that the west would have intervened. :)

MM

I agree entirely, but Stalin being Stalin I doubt he would have stopped until his soldiers were paddling in the Atlantic and Mediterranean:shock:

What industry are you talking about? I'm not familiar with all production for WWI but not one American fighter aircraft saw action and only the British designed DH-4 light bomber with an American engine did see action.

That's because America wasn't making combat aircraft, not that could compete with the front-line types being produced in France and Britain. It was simply easier to use aircraft "borrowed" from the Allies.

America did produce huge amounts of munitions that kept the artillery booming and machine guns rattling throughout WWI - I think that's what was being referred to.

"... America did produce huge amounts of munitions that kept the artillery booming and machine guns rattling throughout WWI - I think that's what was being referred to." :)

Exactly. And lots of FWD trucks.

Thanks.

:)

M

Last edited:
I find it rather amusing how Americans argue about ww2 when infact it was US businesses and patriots that funded the Nazi's in the first place. Where does everyone think Germany got all the money and material to build a huge arsenal in the first place had it not been for people like the anti-semitic Henry Ford and Standard Oil who were very cosy with IG Farben. The interest of the Rockefeller family were identical with the interest of Deutsche Bank. And after WW1, their shares of the "Turkish Petroleum Company" were transferred as "enemy property" to France. For many years, the Deutsche Bank tried to litigate against this expropriation, but finally they realized that there wouldn't be any chance on the legal front. There is strong evidence to suggest that approximately in 1927, Deutsche Bank and Standard Oil made a secret pact aimed at bringing Hitler to power in order to conquer the Oil of Baku. Standard Oil promised to supply the fuel. While the European powers wanted to avoid growth of German industry after WW1, US invested huge sums in Germany and never ratified the Versailles Treaty. They sold German bonds in the US financial market. One of the most important was the"Union Banking Corporation" of George H. Walker. He named his son-in-law, Prescott Bush, grandfather of US president George W. Bush, director of the firm. And he made great business with the Germans, before and after 1933. In the board of his "Walkers American Shipping and Commerce Company" with its Hamburg-America Line was Emil Helfferich, member of "Freundeskreis Reichsführer- SS" and until end of WW2 President of Deutsch-Amerikanische Petroleum Gesellschaft, later ESSO, and Vacuum Oil Company in Hamburg. As for Churchill (who was half american and broke just before he became leader/how convenient) There is so much irony and bs surrounding ww2 it's not even funny.

".... an earlier entry into war would likely be worse for Britain."

Expand on this a bit, please, Freebird. :)

MM

In early 1941 the US agreed to help the Allies via Lend Lease, but as they were still technically neutral the. U-boats couldn't attack in U.S. waters, including British ships. Once the US joined the war the "free ride" was over, and both us & Allied ships suffered tremendous losses. In 1940 & 1941 the U.S. doesn't have much in the way of troops or squadrons ready to deploy in combat, so joining the war earlier just exposes Allied shipping to more losses.

(Sorry for the 6+ year delay in my response) :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back