Difference between a Bf-109E and Bf-109F ? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maestro

Master Sergeant
Hi.

As you may already know, I bought the Airfix 1/48 Bf-109F kit and, like I'm not an expert of German planes, I would like to know if there is any visible difference between the Bf-109E and Bf-109F.

If there is no visible difference, I may try to track down some ace decals (because it seems that German 109 aces were all flying the E or G variant) and build a famous plane... Was Galland flying 109s or 190s ?

Maestro the E and F had very different nose profiles and the E had square wing tips whereas the F's were rounded.
also if i remember correctly the E also had bracing struts under the horizontal stabilisers that were not on the F

i'm sure there are more differances than those i've mentioned and would find some pics ETC for you but i'm stuck at work, but i'm sure a real expert will oblige before to long and correct any mistakes i've made.

hope this helps

Galland was flying Bf 109s and Me 262s.
Bf 109F was the version between 109E and 109G and most of German aces were flying all those versions. Many victories on Bf 109F claimed H-J Marseille for example.

(Been away for a LONG time... Hello again!)

Rochie is right.

The nose profiles were completely different, with the E having a marked angle down from the MG "furrows" towards the spinner; The F had a bigger spinner with a more aerodynamic, gentle line. The F's spinner was bigger, and the single 20mm cannon fired through it. This had been tried but deleted on the E model because of trouble from the engine vibrations making the cannon jam.

The wings were equally completely different; the E had wing armament - MGs for the E-1, 20mm cannon for the E-3, 4 and 7 types. The F did not. The E had square wingtips, while the F had cleanly rounded wingtips.

And the F did not have tailplane braces, either.

The profiles below may help - in short, no, you can't make one out of the other! Sorry...

Attachments

• bf109e.jpg
    bf109e.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 846
  • Bf109F-2.jpg
    Bf109F-2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 481
Almost all was said here.About details we could write a book.So I hope these cutaways will help a little bit as well.Sources .....books about Bf109.

Attachments

• Bf109E-4 cutaway.jpg
    Bf109E-4 cutaway.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 2,398
  • Bf109F-4 cutaway.jpg
    Bf109F-4 cutaway.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 3,134
Very nice cutaways Wojtek!
It's mostly all been said Maestro, but, basically, the 'F' was a totally different aircraft. Not only did the wing look different, it was totally different in construction and profile, and also the tailplanes were at a different position, and the whole tail assembly slighlty different also.
However, there are many colour schemes for 'aces', Galland being one of them, including his personally modified 'F', which had wing cannons. If you want a scheme for his aircraft, their are decals available from various manufacturers; I have the instruction sheet for the now out of print Microscale set that included his aircraft, and have some B&W profiles also, if you need them.
Terry.

Thanks all... And welcome back, Ndicki.

I didn't know there was that much differences between those two planes... I think I'm gonna stick with the original paint scheme and markings... However I would be interrested in seeing Galland's modified 109F. If modifications are not too hard to do, I may try to find some decals and give it a try.

Hi again Maestro. There's a bit of info on Galland's 'F' in a thread of mine that has re-appeared today in the modelling threads! Give me a day or so, and I'll dig out the B&W profiles of his various F's and get them posted.
Terry.

I know I'm a bit late to join the party, but another difference was that the F also had a retractable tail wheel, which was again deleted in later models, but I think it reappeared again.

Hi again Maestro. As promised, here are some profiles on Galland's Bf109F's, together with one for Heinz 'Heino' Sachensberg's early 'G' model, which is outwardly similar to the 'F'. The latter profile is from the Microscale sheet #48-20, and I have the decals for the number, tail band and name for this, if they are of use to you.
The first profile of Galland's aircraft shows his Bf109F-6/U, based at Brest-Guipavas, in April 1941. This had the wing cannons fitted, and the telescope sight through the starboard side of the windscreen. The colour scheme is 74/75 over 76, with an 04 Yellow cowling and spinner, and it is probable that the rudder was also Yellow, and displayed 58 victory markings. The Werke Nummer is believed to have been W.Nr.5750. By late 1941, the yellow cowling colour had been removed, revealing the mottle camouflage beneath.
The second Galland machine is his modified Bf109F, designated as a Bf109F-2/U, and is shown as it looked whilst at Audembert, in December 1941. This is the one that had the 13mm machine guns fitted over the engine, with the breeches covered by small blisters, field-produced, which were much smaller than those fitted to the later 'G' model. The colour scheme is 74/75 over 76, with the fuselage sides having a light overspray of 02. The rudder was Yellow, with the Oak Leaves and '69', with 25 further victory markings below.
As far as I remember, the Airfix kit has the armoured windscreen on the canopy, and this would need to be trimmed/filed at the top, to represent the 'normal' screen. The Microscale sheets are no longer in production, but a search through other decal manufacturer's sites is sure to find suitable decals for any of Galland's aircraft, the main requirements being the 'Mickey Mouse' insignia, and the rudder markings; the 'Winkels' etc can be adapted from any suitable decal sheet.
Hope this helps.
Terry.

Attachments

• Galland 002.jpg
    Galland 002.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 487
  • Galland 001.jpg
    Galland 001.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 389
  • Galland.jpg
    Galland.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 337
Jan profiles especially these B&W are the general hint on how a plane was painted but these aren't drawings so some freedom can be acceptable. :lol:But you have a good eyesight. ;)

They're not particularly accurate profiles Jan, dating from 1985. But I presume they were drawn only to show the colour schemes; things have come a long way since then. Well, in most cases...there are still some very ropey profiles being produced, with the advent of 'digital imaging' available to all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back