Dirge

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Parmigiano

Senior Airman
Aug 2, 2005
Campospinoso (PV), Italy
I know that this post will look strange to many people, only those who love dogs and went trough this can understand the grief.
At 48 I am not ashamed to say that in the last 5 days I cried like I don't remember I did before..

We rescued her from the shelter when she was 2 months old, and nicknamed her 'Mostrino', little monster, because she looked so ugly: big chunks of fur missing, skinny as a skeleton and dehydrated. Vet said that she was a pure Husky and that in the shelter she would not had lived another 48 hours.

In 3 months she became beautiful and earned her nickname for what she did instead of how she looked.
A true rascal, making impredictable disasters one on top of the other, but with a grace, a cleverness and a sympathy that made impossible to scold her.
You install a new fence and the first night she dig a hole as big as a panzer trap below it to run away on the hill, you barbecue and protect the beef from her attention and before you realize what's going on she opens the fridge, shops for a bar of butter and is already up the hill.

She used to eat half of her food and bury the rest in the garden, saving it for 'bad times'. Of course after some time the buried food was a kind of powerful biological weapon, so she earned the alternative nickname of 'Saddam'

She was a no-nonsense dog. One day I was lying sick on the couch with high fever. All other dogs came to see me. She entered the room, looked around and ran outside.
After a while I was awakened by her nose pushing close to my mouth some dead lizard and a mouse: she evidently assessed that I was to ill to take care of myself and managed to bring me food.

She died in the same style she had lived: in all her disasters nobody noticed anything until it was already too late.
A blood-vase cancer (vascular angiosarcoma) at the base of the heart, impossible to detect, totally asymptomathic until the very end and always deadly.

On Monday 29 she was breathing a bit roughly but was elsewhere ok, running and jumping as always.
Took to the clinic, she was diagnosed an early pneumonia, not unusual for Huskies living in temperate areas when the season change. Blood test was perfect, slightly above standard only for the parameters linked to the detected infection. Vet prescribed some antibiotics, the dog was perfectly in shape the whole week.

On Saturday morning she looked ok but too weak, we took her to the vet for a control, the blood tests made at 10.30 were still ok except for the symptoms of a harder infection. Everybody thought was a kind of allergy to some antibiotic, but a small nodule was found on her belly when we shaved her for the echo test.
At 11.30 she fell asleep and by 11.45 she was gone.
One hour later the analysis of the nodule provided the answer.

Attachments

• Mostrino_YY.jpg
    Mostrino_YY.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 180
Brother, I'm real sorry to hear that. This is the reason that I will not own another animal. It just kills me when something happens to them. I hope ya'll heal soon.

Not strange at all, Parmigiano. Cats or dogs, the long-term attachment is the same.

My daughter and I buried a 17 year old cat several years ago that died at home while my wife was home alone. That pretty much tore everybody up. Said she'd never have another one and then did within a month.

Now we've got a 14 year old and I'm sure I can expect to deal with the same thing before too many years pass.

You won't forget her but it'll get at least a little bit easier with time. Hang in.

Gary

Nothing strange there, old man. You'd be far more strange if you didn't feel something for a sentient creature that you'd looked after for so long. Focus on the great walks and fun times you had together and that you (no one else) rescued her and gave her succour. Feel good about it.

I (and I suspect many others) do know exactly what you feel. I blubbed for days when I lost my (rescue) Malinois, Sharna, in Jan last year.

Attachments

• DSCF0077.JPG
    DSCF0077.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 164
I know the feeling. When I lost "Snooper" (a beagle mix) some fifteen years
ago I cried for three days. There is nothing I can say that wil ease you pain.
I am sorry, tho.

Charles

It's hard, in this things the brain understands quickly (nothing could have been done, she lived happily the 9 years she had to etc.), but man is not only brain and all the rest needs a lot of time.

Thank you all guys.

Condolences Parm, unfortunately I think my dog is going to die soon as well (she is 14 years old). I hate when these things happen.

How ironic for this thread to appear at this particular time. As I sit here at the computer our Springer "Muggsy" is laying at my feet asleep. It's been a hard day for him, he hasn't touched his food or water all day. In the last several days he has eaten very little and has lost all the pep and energy that has driven me crazy for the last twelve years. He won't even touch the cats food which is a very bad sign indeed. The Vet said that all his symptoms point to possible cancer. You can see it in his eyes. He knows that he's going to meet up with George soon. (George was our other Springer who we had to put down at 14 about three years ago) It probably won't be much longer now. Parm, you have my sincere condolences and I'm sure those of every pet owner in this forum.

My condolences to Parm, enjoy the memories, and take pride in your achievements - the each-way bond you had and the life you gave it.

When I was between 12 26, I had a tabby cat (from a kitten) that had a stroke at 14 - 'there was a light on but no one in'. But I can still remember the things she used to get up to.
Not by intention to wait so long, but when I was 48 another kitten came into my life. Fortunately she quickly grew out of climbing the curtains, but as the years go by, you wonder - how much longer! Six months ago I began to contemplate the worst - kidney problems. However, she has pulled through (the antibiotics for her gums were a great help), the only thing that irritates us now - his her very loud miaoooows! But as she is 19 years 5 months I'm not complaining!

Parm, I work in a shelter and its because I love to see them get homes like yours that I do. Sorry for your loss but you saved a life and allowed her to live far more than a shelter would have be able to. Rejoice in that and remember those things like the lizard, etc.

My condolences for your loss.

My sympathies Parm. I had a 6 year old yellow lab I had to put down from lymph node cancer back on June 6th 2003. I am finally able to talk about him without tears coming to my eyes

Attachments

• Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 105
His name was Remy (as in Remy Martin). Was a great dog, totally friendly, a natural rabbit hunting dog. If you read Marley and me (Grogan) you'll get an idea of how Remy was.. He was a total bud...If you look at the right edge of the picture you can see where he was shaved after surgery. I put him down a few days after the picture was taken.:cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back