Disaster at Bari, Italy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

(cont'd)

An account from Lt B.G. Syrett RNVR, who was a spare C.O. for the 20th MTB Flotilla at Bari, when the air raid took place.

An extract from his diary.

At 1930 hours, I was in the Cypher Office with Sub Lt Morris RNVR working hard on a cypher. Suddenly a few guns started pooping off and Morris rushed to open the door to find the harbour lit up with parachute flares. I dragged Morris inside the door and shut it and we both wondered for a second or two what it was all about.
We were not left long in doubt. Bombs began to rain down: the chatter of 20mm guns and the louder booming of the 40mm and 4.7's joined the cacophony. Outside our door a pom-pom opened up and all hell seemed to be let loose. Occasionally the old ship would shudder as a near miss shook the water. Then a bomb fell just off the starboard bow to be followed up by an incredible welter of noise as one landed just off the port quarter. The Cypher Office collapsed on top of us, flames shot up where a second before had been steel plating.
After about two minutes we managed to dig ourselves out and get out on to the upper deck - even remembering, despite our fear, to take the confidential books with us.
All around the harbour lay burning ships, VIENNA's No 1 shouted "she's sinking",
But she wasn't, the old lady was battered, but not beaten. Bomb blast had parted all her lines but we soon got more ashore and were back alongside. Just as this was achieved, the raid stopped and , to herald this, a gigantic explosion shook the whole harbour as a ship on the other side of the dock blew up.

Then it began to rain. The heavy down pour went on for several minutes only to finish as suddenly as it began.
After a quick inspection of VIENNA's damage I joined other officers in the wardroom. By this time one could hear cries in the water around us from wounded and others needing rescue from the water. The "rain" it was later learnt was infact liquid mustard gas returning to earth after the explosion.
Rescue parties were quickly organised and the Vospers MTB's did noble work. Not then having a boat, I went down to the sick bay to see if I could help. As I arrived the first survivors were being brought aboard. Very quickly the sick bay was filled to capacity, then the sick bay flat; soon every cabin and most sheltered deck space was occupied by survivors. Most of them were wounded, and all were covered in a thick oily mixture.

Ships were continuing to explode. Memorable stories about Coastal Force officers and crews were fairly numerous. Johnny Woods (Lt J.R. Woods RCNVR), skipper of MTB 297 was ordered to torpedo a blazing ship just outside the harbour which was drifting shore wards. Boats which had been blasted away from VIENNA's side by one bomb, had been blasted back by the next. Hunks of Liberty ships hurtled through decks and into engine rooms (and the heads).

Perhaps one of the best achievements involved Laurie Strong and Leo Cruise. A new Liberty ship had been abandoned by her crew as she lay between two blazing ships, one of which was a tanker. Leo bordered her and passed down a line to MTB 81, who then towed her to safety. Another note worthy effort when 'Duke' du Boulay (243) went alongside a blazing tanker and successfully took off survivors. Quite a night.
In the aftermath of the Bari air raid, the harbour was closed for some time, while wrecks were cleared, and under water obstacles removed.
Bomb damage to the vital infrastructure of the harbour was repaired, and it was some two to three weeks before merchant shipping could again use it's facilities to off load their cargo. Coastal Force craft were diverted to ManFredonia and Brindisi temporarily.

The success of the raid had its effect on the advance of the eighth army. Lack of essential supplies contained in the sunken merchant men, held up the forward momentum of the campaign. The winter of the 1943/44 found the front line stabilized near Ortana, when the weather deteriorated with long spells of rain, and tanks, transport and soldiers became bogged down in the mud, and swollen rivers became to difficult to cross.

Soon after the recovery teams started work to clear up the harbour, a battered HMS VIENNA was towed out of Bari and taken down to Brindisi. She was so badly damaged that she was unable to fulfil her roll as a Coastal Force depot ship. However, a useful job was found for her, as she was moored and used as store for spare parts etc.

EXTRACTS FROM THE HISTORY OF 24TH M.T.B. FLOTILLA
BY
H.F. (BERT) COOPER
1ST LIEUT MTB 85 AND C.O. MTB 410

Dornier's using Fritz X in sinking the ROMA in SEPT and DEC attack on Bari. Late 1943 one could conclude the LW's demonstrated strike potential figured heavily into planning.

Cannot find reference to attacks on US bomber bases after Ploesti, maybe a date would help. 100+ bombers destroyed?

Erich,
I was not talking about Fritz X being used at Bari, I even had the date of SEPT vs Roma....but I should have posted DEC Ju-88 attack on Bari. I left out the Ju-88 part, understood by me at least this was a Ju-88 mission. I'll have to proof-read a bit better.

Parsifal,
OK, Poltava. Knew about that. I thought I had missed the boat about some strike against the Benghazi base.

stirring accounts Parsifal. as to number of Boats yes 17 within the Harbor but outside of it is the question whether the MTB's/smaller vessels were counted in the German figures I cannot say until I find that listing which gave the Co-ordinates/area of the sinking or severely damaged Allied craft(s). German sources of course have to admit through Allied counting the numbers hit as this being and evening raid only lit initially by dropped flares then burning ships/explosions and then high altitude recon the following day.

Id really like to hear what you find erich. This was an interesting battle, and from an allied perspective, disastrous battle. Some sources attribute V corps defeat at the Rapido 3 weeks later to supply shortages, brought about by the closure of Bari Harbour.

The defeat was made worse by the allied bungling. There were many casualties and injuries worsened by survivors being kept in oil and Mustard soaked clothes, and not immediately washed clean of the chemical. Many were blinded, many suffered horrible burns and blistering in their lungs. Nobody knows how many italian civilians lost their lives.

I blame the allies more than the germans for this one....mostly due to complacency and incompetence. no other way to describe it.

I woncer if any heads rolled because of what happened. The AA defences and the harbourmaster mostly, perhaps even higher should have got the chop IMO

Erich, just about to sleep, but I have a couple of thoughts that may or may not be a help.

Circumstances support your theory that more ships were outside thje port. Ive seen a report somewhere, of the Harbourmaster complaining of a backlog of ships outside the harbour, and the need to increase the speed of unloading. Hence the decision to illuminate the harbour and unload at night. They were trying to clear the harbour and speed unloading up 15AG was screaming for supplies and getting ready for a major offensive. So motive to break standard proceduree was there. I also know there were two convoys not one, and i am pretty sure that one of the convoys was moored outside the harbour. Finally, 17 ships seems like a low number of ships for two allied convoys in late '43....28 is a better, more plausible number.

If we can find out the convoy numbers, we should be able to track down the convoy mqanifests, and that should nail the numbers of ships present that day. I reckon the best people to talk to ion that regard would be either Glider or Tracky.

excellent thoughts, I must say this though whatever angle or direction the Ju 88's left they would of had to tackle the other Allied ships either with what bombs left over - very few and their forward firing mg's and cannon if equipped. Until I can access KTB's of some sort for the supporting LW bomber formations one wonders if the outside Allied ships were hit by any Torpedo bombers or were these all dropped within the confines of the harbor.

If we can find out the convoy numbers, we should be able to track down the convoy mqanifests, and that should nail the numbers of ships present that day. I reckon the best people to talk to ion that regard would be either Glider or Tracky.
BariShipsBurning.jpg

30 Allied ships were in the Harbor that night. Other then the Destroyed/Damaged ships, I don't have a breakdown.

MTB 81~ damaged
MTB 85~ no damage
MTB 86~ no damage
MTB 242~ damaged
MTB 243~ damaged
MTB 297~ no damage
MTB 296~ sank

Barletta~ sank
Bollsta~ sank
Devon Coast~ sank
Fort Athabasca~ sank
Fort Lajoie~ sank
Frosinone~ sank
Inaffondabile~ sank
John Bascom~ sank
John Harvey~ sank - Mustard Gas Cargo
John L. Motley~ sank
Joseph Wheeler~ sank
Lars Kruse~ sank
Lom~ sank
Lwów~ sank
Norlom~ sank
Puck~ sank
Samuel J. Tilden~ sank
Vienna~ damaged

Last edited:
I have a complete listing but cannot find it in the database at the moment, how stinking frustrating, there are reports of sinkings outside of the harbor.

Just a quick note, Vienna was not a merchant ship, she was a depot ship for the MTB flotillas. also 2, possibky 3 of the MTBs were not manned at the time they were damaged/sunk

I don't know if anyone mentioned this or not, but in the excellent book "The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944" part of the Liberation Trilogy by Rick Atkinson, he makes mention of the "fact" that Nazi propaganda knew exactly what was released by the LW raid on Bari harbor and broadcast as much over the airwaves to the Italian population and possibly beyond. I guess this made it an open secret.

Just thought I would add the little I knew...

some ships names and personel
bari1.jpg

bari5.jpg

bari4.jpg

bari3.jpg

bari2.jpg

some photos
bari05.jpg

bari04.jpg

bari03.jpg

bari02.jpg

Last edited: