Do 217N (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

well I did a little old investigative work and noted in my data base that ace Rudi Schonert flew a Do 217 while with NJG 5 for a time. On one mission he stretched the speed of his big boy a/c to the limit and had a terrible time closing upon a soviet B-25 Mitchell but he did catch it and blew it apart with the forward firing weapons

Im not sure on the maneuverability of the 217. The 17 had decent maneuverability when it came out. That is compared to fighters of the time it came out. By 1940 it was hopelessy outclassed by fighters.

Exactly and for that I think the Ju-88 was the best one. It did not have to be very very maneuverable but rather heavy armed. It had eneogh space for a effective radar and it could carry good armament to take down bombers.

go to the Mossie vs Ju 88 thread I started..........Ju 88's shot down mossie night fighters but also the reverse as well ........

the Do 217 was clumsy and it was there to add or replace the Bf 110G on the Ost front for short time.

to me it was an overarmed piece of junk in the Luftwaffe arsenal but it was used since it was available and because of range could cover the distance, the Bf 110G major short coming was lack of fuel reserves even with external drop tanks used till wars end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back