Do any of you use airbrush?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

McCabe

Banned
Jul 29, 2015
I love the way airbrushed modeling. It looks really easy. I was just wondering how many of you airbrush. I am thinking about buying the products to start.
Thanks,

I think brush painters may be in the minority here there are some fabulous modelers.

Type airbrush techniques into the forum search...lots of threads there.

Yep, there is a lot of airbrushers here, just look in on some of the Group Build threads particularly the current GB and ask questions of the builders who are always ready to help, advise show you their techniques.

Yep, there is a lot of airbrushers here, just look in on some of the Group Build threads particularly the current GB and ask questions of the builders who are always ready to help, advise show you their techniques.

Except me, a proud wielder of the hairy stick but hopefully a convert in the near future.

Geo

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 155
I've been primarily a brush painter and spray can user.
That said i switched to Airbrushing on my previous build.

I wouldn't say its "easy" however it makes certain paint jobs MUCH easier.
It takes a bit of time to learn the technique but its actually quite fun.

I use both techniques. Though I'm mostly an airbrusher.

Getting started is not that dificult. Tough it's a bit of an investment. Imho, skip the biginner sets. You will need a good quality airbrush and a compresser with air- and moistrure regulator. Then you best decide on what paint you want to use. Acryl or Enamel. Both paints are not that hard to airbrush, but require a different aproach.

You should consider a double- or Dual action airbrush. This allows you to control both airflow and paintflow. in a push, trigger movement.
It's harder to use at first then a single action airbrush, which has a set paint flow and allows you to control the air.
But, if you want to do freehand camo patterns, the Double- or Dual action airbrush is the way to go.

Look up some Youtube clips on moddeling airbrush, either AFV or Aircraft (doesn't matter that much as the techniques on both kind of models are pretty simelar)
These clips will give you some idea.
If you really want to get a hang on the technique without loosing to much time, consider taking a basic course for airbrushing. Preferbly one used or given by plastic modellers on 3D objects. Though basic techniques for 2D airbrushing are simelar.

Then you are set to go. I've been using airbrush techniques for about 10 years now and got the hang of it (I'm pretty keen of the various paint techniques used by the Luftwaffe in WW2, which can't be done by brush). Though remember it's a technique that will eat a lot of modelling time when compared to normal paintbrushing, since there is a lot of masking involved, preparation of both the model and paint, etc...
But the results are hard or sometimes even impossible to achieve by brush....Though a lot of smaller parts and detail painting is still best done by brush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back