Do You Have an Illogical Hatred of an Aircraft?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hmmm... tough question. Not a hatred, just ambivalence. And I might not that this is just today. My ambivalence changes over time. Example, I list the Spit below, but used to just love it. I think that ambivalence stems from the same reasons Waynos started this thread. And one I use to have ambivalence that I now love is the He-111.

Fairey Battle
MiG-3
Spitfire
P-39
Whirlwind
Do-17
A-20

Some great responses there and very varied. Thanks guys thats just what I was hoping for. Except the blind guy who doesn't like the Beaufighter :lol:

Mentioing the Fairey Battle and Whirlwind as you you did Matt 308, that puts me in mind of another equally illogical response. I really like these two aircraft and I think at least part of that is that I feel sorry for them, like some sort of pet. Now, how illogical is that?

Mention of the Spitfire also reminds me that I am one of those guilty of 'bigging up' the most beaufiful aeroplane ever made (sorry, I'll stop) so I suppose in many ways I'm no different to the 'Ignorant American' I cited in my first post :D

I do of course very much recognise the actual greatness of the B-17 and P-51, taken in relation to the rest of course, but that strange illogical negativity is always there lurking in the back of my brain

Which aircraft I illogically hate really depends on my mood. Sometimes I can't stand the Spitfire. Though I can never hate the Me109.

Like a lot of folks here, I get sick of being told that the Spitfire won the BoB (although I think it is a gorgeous piece of engineering - I'm building two in 1/48 scale at the moment), and sick of being told that the P-51 was the greatest fighter ever (although, again, I find the RAF Mustang IIIs one of the most aesthetically pleasing aircraft of all time).

I also 'dislike' the A6M - I think this comes from when I played IL-2 online a lot (some years ago) and the A6M first appeared as part of a patch. For weeks, if not months, each and every serverwas full of noobs thinking they were amazing because their fighter turned better than yours, and crying that anyone who could shoot them down was cheating, or that the game was biased toward certain plane types :rolleyes: Now, how illogical a reason is THAT!!! :lol:

I think - to put this in perspective - is that you will never find an Allied bomber crewman who 'hated' the Mustang or Spitfire; or 'loved' the 109 or 190 but they were ALL great fighters.

It's not that a hate any particular airplane, it's just I think there are a lot of planes that never received the proper recognition that they deserve, the Brewster Buffalo, Douglas Devastator, and Me 321 comes to mind.

The P-51D does nothing for me at all. I'd almost call it ugly. But, Show me a P-51B/C ,The prettiest thing with two wings. As for the Spit, the early tails were nasty to look at. The only one that i really like is the Mk VB,Tropical, That big snout looks so cool. The P-40B was such a sweet lookin' bird, The intake got bigger and it was down hill from there. I'd take any of them in a heartbeat though....:D

It's also tiny compared to modern jet fighters. Small, fast and excellent high speed maneuverability. Had to be difficult to hit with WWII era weapons.

Then you have this monster at the other end of the size scale. A near sighted pilot who forgot his spectacles could score hits on the B-36.
730px-NMAF_B-36.jpg

I visited the USAF museum a few years ago. Walking around the various aircraft gives you a great perspective as to aircraft size.

I agree that some aircraft stole the spolight from other, more deserving aircraft. Like BombTaxi mentioned, you'd think that the BoB was fought entirely by skies full of Spitfires and Bf109s when in reality, the British were putting everything they had up to stop the Germans, who also had a variety of types up there that rarely get mentioned.

I can't say I really hate any aircraft, although there are some I really don't care for, like the F6F Hellcat and the Corsair which to me, just look odd. Perhaps that's because I've liked the F4F since my childhood and saw the Corsair and Hellcat as the "evil" machines that replaced it. I know that's not logical and is just how things progress, but then again, I have always like the He100D and M.C202 because of thier looks and performance.

As far as the P-51D and B-17 goes, they're ok, but not my ultimate favorites...I prefer the Jug over the 'Stang and the B-29 and B-25 were always more of a favorite than any other bomber.

There is no such thing as a warbird that I hate be it a J3 or an P51 or an F4 they are all wonderful and I want to see them all , the sounds the smells the lines whats not to like , add into it the anecdotes of the guys that flew them and you have the things legends are made of.

For some reason that I could never work out, I can't stand the Bf 109 G. I like the F but the G just irks me in some way.

Maybe due to the bulges for the guns?

For me I would have to say the I-16. Its just butt ugly. Looks like they took a aircraft that was long and ran it into a mountain to give it that short stubby look.

I do love the Beaufighter and the Bf-109E, G, and K though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back