Do You Have an Illogical Hatred of an Aircraft?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ceiling? Or is it service ceiling? I've looked at sources and the listed service ceiling at 11.5 km - 37,500 feet~

Service Ceiling FLYBOYJ, the height at which it can climb at 2 m/s. That's how the Germans defined service ceiling atleast.

Just so you know it guys the often quotes ceiling of ~11 km for the Me262 aint its' actual ceiling. According to original performance charts it's closer to 12.5 km at combat weight.

Is this flight test or calculated performance charts? These would be interesting to see. I'm always happy to clarify historical data.

Service Ceiling FLYBOYJ, the height at which it can climb at 2 m/s. That's how the Germans defined service ceiling atleast.

Service ceiling today is defined as 100 feet per minute. So its obvious that operating an aircraft at its service ceiling isn't going to be giving you ravaging performance.

I do not like Green Eggs and Ham or the P-51 Mustang. I have written essays on the subject, mostly on its complete and utter inferiority to the Corsair. I am upset that in BattleStations Pacific the Corsair is the 'normal' fighter while the Mustang is the 'advanced fighter.
I also prefer radial engine aircraft to inline engine aircraft.'

All right, I will confess.

I hate the Me 110 and its descendants, the 210 and 410. I have no reason to give. I just hate them - for

"I do not love thee, Doctor Fell,
The reason why, I can not tell,
But this I know, and know full well,
I do not love thee, Doctor Fell."

I hate the P-80 shooting star because Richard Bong was killed test flying it and it was never even a very important fighter, being so quickly and utterly outclassed by the F-86 Sabre. It irritates me that America lost its ace of aces and a great man to a stepping stone design with obsolete wings.

Really? Not sure you can blame Bong's habit of reducing power immediately upon lift-off as attributable to a poor P-80 design.
I don't blame thee aircraft design, I just don't like the plane or the idiots that decided that someone as valuable as Bong should be doing the near-suicidal job of testing experimental jets.

I didn't really count any votes, but it seems that a lot of people have a dislike for the P-51...I think I'm starting to see the "old bird" in a new light (lol). Maybe I have a new favorite! :evil:

p.s. But seriously...I'm kind of surprised.

Sorry, Clay. I was thinking of another American Ace that lost his life after transitioning to F-80s. It wasn't during a flight test. I'll try and remember whom I'm thinking of. This guy was a long time piston engine pilot and had a habit of severely throttling back shortly after lift off. Apparently in the F-80, this was known to cause flameouts.

Now if I can just remember the ace I'm thinking of... :scratch:

Sorry, Clay. I was thinking of another American Ace that lost his life after transitioning to F-80s. It wasn't during a flight test. I'll try and remember whom I'm thinking of. This guy was a long time piston engine pilot and had a habit of severely throttling back shortly after lift off. Apparently in the F-80, this was known to cause flameouts.

Now if I can just remember the ace I'm thinking of... :scratch:
I know who you are talking about, but I can't remember either. IIRC it was a bad fuel pump that killed Bong. I also hate the design because straight-wing jets to me are like cars with wooden wheels.

I don't blame thee aircraft design, I just don't like the plane or the idiots that decided that someone as valuable as Bong should be doing the near-suicidal job of testing experimental jets.

Clay - he was killed in a production P-80! What leads you to believe he was doing a 'near suicidal' job?

I grew up around test pilots - one hell of a lot of them died - ditto fighter pilots flying production a/c - especially in the 1940-60 timeframe

Clay - he was killed in a production P-80! What leads you to believe he was doing a 'near suicidal' job?

I grew up around test pilots - one hell of a lot of them died - ditto fighter pilots flying production a/c - especially in the 1940-60 timeframe
Test pilots die a lot and he would have been far more valuable teaching new fighter pilots or being a General than dead. I have a lot of respect for the extreme bravery of test pilots considering that one of these days one of those planes is bound to do something you can't recover from or bail out of, but Bong was the biggest name in American combat aviation since Rickenbacker.

I don't really have one aircraft I hate. But if I was an Allied Pilot I wouldn't like the FW 190. That thing was a "one shot" kill monster. The Browing 50's just don't cut it to a German cannon. One shot from that big mean 190 and you aircraft is disintegrating right in front of your eyes.

So to get down to the point a plane that can drop you after 1 second of firepower is a plane that's hard to like.

But I don't really hate the 190, it's a great plane. Funny how the Germans didn't use it more.

Can't say I hate the Mustang, except that it wasn't that good at absorbing battle damage.

Somehow I don't like the Savoia Marchetti too much, it wasn't very pretty.

I-16 was kind of chubby looking, but hey, we can't all look like thoroughbreds, can we? :)

Last edited:
Hmmm...

On my side it is the P-47... And I think no one can beat me on the illogism of my reason: just because I had a very hard time flying it in flight sims. Let's say it marked my memory... in a bad way ! You see, I told you it was illogic ! :lol:

It is a rather good looking plane which did a great job in the ETO, but flying it in a flight sim is as hard as flying an anvil.

Test pilots die a lot and he would have been far more valuable teaching new fighter pilots or being a General than dead. I have a lot of respect for the extreme bravery of test pilots considering that one of these days one of those planes is bound to do something you can't recover from or bail out of, but Bong was the biggest name in American combat aviation since Rickenbacker.

The Air Force didn't plan on his early demise. Getting the first Group of P-80's was a huge honor....

I can just imagine the thought process Bong went through.. "Gee, General - I have a choice? I can lead the first jet fighter wing with America's best fighter - or I can go to Training Command and run an advanced training group?" "let me think it over and call you in a week"

Bong was a 'huge name' but it was all relative - there were distinguished air combat leaders(and aces) that died in the same time that had a lot more chance of making General - Like Dave Schilling. I suspect Schilling would have made his star one hell of a lot faster than Bong.

Hating the P-80 because the pilot made a mistake and died as a result seems 'unusual'... but that is the topic of the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back