Do You Have an Illogical Hatred of an Aircraft?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Me-410 right?

I think the technical name used by US fighter pilots was actually "meat on the table."

Glad you guys like the thread, it does raise some interesting views that it might not be appropriate to post in other threads doesn't it?

I knew at the beginning that 'dislike' would be a better word than 'hatred', but like in the press, the more sensationlist word seems to provoke more discussion :)

Regarding the Spitfire in Junkers post, I agree that this hatred seems entirely logical and it does seem odd that we seemingly gave no thought to access and maintainability in the UK until the MB5, and THEN we didn't produce it :lol:

The Hurricane does look 'heavy', and one way I look at it is that it was the ultimate biplane. I know that statement looks like cobblers, but I mean in the way it was made, compared to all the other flashy monplanes. Of course it was this that allowed us to have enough of them in the first place, and I have read that its kill rate in the BoB was the same as the Spitfire, so it wasn't too shabby, but hey, thats whatt he thread is for! :)

The Hurricane does look 'heavy', and one way I look at it is that it was the ultimate biplane. I know that statement looks like cobblers, but I mean in the way it was made, compared to all the other flashy monplanes. Of course it was this that allowed us to have enough of them in the first place, and I have read that its kill rate in the BoB was the same as the Spitfire, so it wasn't too shabby, but hey, thats whatt he thread is for! :)

Your statement about the Hurricane makes perfect sense to me, Waynos. In order to have a reasonably modern fighter in service for the upcoming war, Hawker deliberately stuck to tried and true construction techiniques they'd honed on their Fury and Hart series biplanes, combined with a cantilever monoplane design with retractable gear. And it worked - instead of still being largely equipped with Gauntlets and Gladiators by the outbreak of the war, the RAF had Hurricanes, and of course they had many in service for the Battle of Britain.

Venganza

hi

and thanks for the comments. and YES..i am pretty sure that has to do with turn around times for the spit as its TOTALLY illogical made and everything that has to be done on it is hard time consuming work.. just to replace the coolingtank one has to drill out brackets that holds the cowling..and when a new coolingtank is installed..one has to start riveting the whoel da..n nosesection back in place.. imagine doing that is a stressfull situation when one needs aircrafts back in the air asap.. and compare with the P-51.. ( now i know a lot in here "hate " that plane also ..but its done in 10 minutes.. out with the old and in with the new " :)

and Waynos :) great comment. typical english selfironi !! love it :)

( and Gumbyk..i think you are on to something there..hehe )

and yes..this thread does make some interesting points that does not show in other threads :) i really like this thread :) everybody likes to get some steam out from time to time and this is the perfect place :)

Me neither. To me it looks like a box with wings- but it had a large payload so I guess it was for a reason...

I don't like how the very tips of the spinners (or prop hubs) are farther forward than the forward most part of the fuselage. For a twin engined aircraft, this just isn't a good look.

well..lets see what the guys during WW2 thought about it.. these are all drawn during the war by Bob Stevens. best book ever and a must read.. There I was..flat on my back

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 137
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 135
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 123
  • Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 129
and while we are at it..the P-47..P-38 and how the allied looked at the jet and rocket engine beeing itroduced by the germans

Attachments

• Image9.jpg
    Image9.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Image8.jpg
    Image8.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 115
  • Image6.jpg
    Image6.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Image7.jpg
    Image7.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Image5.jpg
    Image5.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 111
sorry..forgot to rezise those.. but i guess this is just as valid today as it was back then :)

tonns more where these came from :) hope you like`em :)

Attachments

• Image10.jpg
    Image10.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 118
Oh yes please do, they are magical, but don't resize them *too* small eh? I have one I like showing the German ejector seat as a weapon, when I get home from my hols I'll post it up. Also does anyone have any of the old Wren toons?

Another illogical hate of aircraft I have is all French bombers. They were just plain ugly (which is an illogical reason to dislike something...;)), especially the Amiot 143 and Farman F.220.

french aircrafts ?

hehe

anyway.. if i am starting a thread with the WW2 drawings, the corean war and also from the vietnam war )..where do i put it..and i can either post them as the big ones here or the smaller i have resized here.. what does the moderators say ? :)

any thoughs on this ?

Attachments

• 18-02-2006 19;45;00.JPG
    18-02-2006 19;45;00.JPG
    311.3 KB · Views: 96
If it is about WW2 aircraft put it in this section. If it is about Korean or Vietnam put them in the Modern or Post War section.

Please downsize the pics just a lil bit more though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back