Does Anyone Still Play Magic The Gathering???

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I can't believe someone is trying to sell Black Lotus for over $1,000. For years and years I have watched Black Lotus sell for between $350 and $550. The other cards I watched were the Mox cards from the Alpha and Beta series. Mox Sapphire, Mox Diamond, Mox Emerald, Mox Ruby, and Mox Pearl have always sold between $150 and $300.

Seems there may be a new interest from the collector side if the value is going up that much.

I can't believe someone is trying to sell Black Lotus for over $1,000. For years and years I have watched Black Lotus sell for between $350 and $550. The other cards I watched were the Mox cards from the Alpha and Beta series. Mox Sapphire, Mox Diamond, Mox Emerald, Mox Ruby, and Mox Pearl have always sold between $150 and $300.

Seems there may be a new interest from the collector side if the value is going up that much.

Oh folks are putting them up for 2 grand, but I saw 3 or 4 that were the COMPLETED listing for a grand. I think I'm going to look for a printer that can make good quality cards.... :twisted:

Actually I wonder if some of them are fakes?

Most of the cards selling for mucho bucks are certified, so no worries about fakes unless theyre fakin the certs as well....

Some of these newer cards are just plain badass.... That Bloodbraided I have is worth like 6 bucks, and its insane.... I just got this one below last week...

Mycoloth.....

He is my Saproling Token Deck, so the other night, I sacrificed 18 1/1 Tokens... I had him at 40/40.... Next turn, I summoned 36 1/1 Tokens... The turn following that one I summoned another 36 Tokens.... The card just blows my mind.....

Prices have gone insane Thor... This jackass want $2,400 bucks for his Lotus....
MTG Black Lotus (NM/M) - eBay (item 280318140106 end time Mar-31-09 11:54:50 PDT)

How bout this yutz who wants $2,500 for his Time Walk....
Magic P9 TIME WALK BETA BGS GRADED 8.5 MINT POWER 9 MTG - eBay (item 260328563222 end time Mar-07-09 08:21:11 PST)

Attachments

• Magic05.jpg
    Magic05.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 379
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The secondary market exploded on these cards about 3-5 years ago when the Vintage community (the format where you can play these older cards) got very organized and started having a Vintage World Championship at GenCon every year.

As far as if anyone still plays - TONS of people still play. There are 4 Pro Tours held worlwide a year with many more open invitation Grand Prix events as well. And that doesn't even take into account the people who play casually, who actually far outweigh the tournament players.

In fact, Pro Tour: Kyoto was just held this last weekend. Pro Player, Former Player of the Year, and future Hall of Fame Player (yes, there is now a Magic Hall of Fame), Gabriel Nassiff from France took home the trophy, as well as the $40,000 first place prize.

I looked in Scrye magazine last night to see the value of the Alpha cards. Scrye lists the values as high, medium, and low. The range for Black Lotus was 2200, 1800, and 1600 and the Mox cards were 850, 675, and 595. Even Bad Moon was selling for 160. I forget what TimeWalk was selling for.

Your right Les, unless your in it for the collector aspect, the high priced cards are just as good as many .25 cent cards.

I used to play Dungeons and Dragons back in the late 80s and early 90s but never got into this game.

Late '80's/early '90's? Now you're making me feel OLD! My friends and I use to play D&D back in the late '70's/early '80's; I still like the old ways with the graph paper and the multi-sided dies. My wife still has one of the original D&D boxed sets from 1980.

I used to play Yu-Gi-Oh, does that count?

My 13-year old son was heavy into that, then followed the series into Yu-Gi-Oh GX and Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's; he even got his little brothers to play so he would have someone to defeat. Lately, he's segued off into Kingdon Hearts.

So what do collectors do with cards that are too valuable to play with?

Do you use them to pick up chicks?

Hey baby - Wanna see my Black Lotus? :D :D :D

They try to hold on to them and hope the value goes up and sell them for a profit. Anyone who actually plays with a Alpha Black Lotus is a fool!!!!! That would be like getting a Ferrari or Lamborghini and taking it off roading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back