Dogfights! (on the history channel)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dogfights on the History channel [Archive] - The Aerodrome Forum

Jason McKinley, lead CG guy for the show has checked out the comments here and asked me to post this for him.

=====================================

Hello all. Thank you for watching the show and I hope you enjoyed it. I have read your posts and they were all very fair in their critique. Here are some answers for the mistakes and our choices.

1. Spad gear. A simple screwup on my part. As Tim noted when we converted the model from Maya to lightwave if flipped for some unknown reason. By the time Tim pointed it out to me I had done several animations already. I went back and fixed them but I must of missed a few. Sorry.

2. Speed of planes. In most of the shots I used real speed of around a 100 mph. I would be interested to know which shots looked too fast.

3. Lvg - Model. This was tough. Their were so many different models we just went with one I saw on the web that was labled "lvg".

4. Lvg's going inverted. Okay - I should not have done this. I did the shot as a test and one of the execs menitoned how he loved it. I cringed everytime I saw it.

5. Old crow skin on all the planes. I should have changed them out but I was working so fast that i just blew it off. sorry.

fyi the show had over 270 fx shots.

6. Ameri-centric. yeah since it was the first show History Channel insisted.

7. Length of Cunningham fight. Now this I am not sure. Duke and Driscoll said the fight lasted several minutes. Also twice they unloaded and sped 2-3 miles out. Barret could be right though. Don't know.

8. EVR instead of Luke. First show - EVR was the leading ace. Name recognition. If we do another ww1 then it will probably be Luke. Also EVR because we had descriptions of the fight. (Though a historian at the San Diego Air museam told me that EVR was a fraud and that he only shot down maybe 2 or 3 planes) Didn't know what to make of that. Kinda made my head spin.

Anyway thanks for the comments. They are a huge help as I truly tried to make this thing as accurate as possible. If you have any questions or comments please feel free to emal me at

Thanks

Jason McKinley

Users who are viewing this thread

Back