Dogfights! (on the history channel)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
I'm watching this interesting program on the History channel.

Pretty neat how they interview a pilot and then "plug in" his experiences into a cool CGI "overview" of his battle.

Tonights episode is ""MiG Alley"
Air Force fighter-pilots risk their lives flying F-86 Sabres during the Korean War."

Not WW2, but inevitably, they will have one.

Dogfights

As with a lot of things, we get these shows much later than you fellas, I have seen some of these episodes lately, and I have realy enjoyed them. The CG is excellent and the tech data very interesting. :)

I've only seen one episode but it looked pretty good. CG was good. Kinda reminded me f an earlier one, I think it wa called Battleground. Covered major battles from all angles, from Hastings to BOB, etc.

There have been quite a few of the Dogfights episodes. I have seen the one with the Flying Tigers, Zero vs. Wildcat, Zero vs. Hellcat, Zero vs. B-17, Mustang vs. BF-109G, MiG vs. Sabre, MiG vs. Phantom II, MiG vs. Israeli Mirage, Fokker vs. SPAD, and some I don't remember. Also in the series is Ziggy Sprague's Taffy 3 vs Kurita's IJN Center Force.

tom

Yeah, I love listening to the accounts from the actual people. The two that held my interest the best were the Dauntless vs 3 zeros and the F-4 vs Mig. I think the F-4 was flown by a man named Cunningham. Facinating story.

"Duke" Cunningham.

Convicted and corrupt politician in jail for 9 years.

Yeah, world class pinhead. Had a "menu" of corruption he would actually hand people listing what it cost to have him do things. Lived on a boat in the Potomic River. Name of of the boat? "The Dukester". Honest, not making it up.

Shoulda called it "The Crookster". What a pinhead.

The computer graphics in this series is indeed good. But editing can cause a few chuckles. For instance, in the F-8 vs. the Mig, the Crusader has a case of the re-appearing Sidewinders. One minute he's out of them, the next scene they're back. And in the one with Taffy 3 vs. Kurita, they have Helldivers and Hellcats attacking the Jap fleet. Didn't happen in that battle.

tom

The computer graphics in this series is indeed good. But editing can cause a few chuckles. For instance, in the F-8 vs. the Mig, the Crusader has a case of the re-appearing Sidewinders. One minute he's out of them, the next scene they're back. And in the one with Taffy 3 vs. Kurita, they have Helldivers and Hellcats attacking the Jap fleet. Didn't happen in that battle.

tom

another one is when the Fokkers battle against Rickenbacher... the landing gear on the Spad are backwards on a couple shots.

True matey. I did notice some of the errors too.
As for the "Duke". How many did look to him as a Hero, only for them to become disappointent by his criminal acts. What makes you sink that low that you do things like that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back