Don Kingaby - Query

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Still haven't found the book, but I have found a little more info.
Don Kingaby is credited with twenty two and a half (some sources 23) confirmed victories, plus 8 'probables' and 16 damaged.
The Spitfire, if it's the MkV, is almost certainly MkVb, serial number W3320, of 92 Sqn, named 'The Darlington Spitfire', one of two 'Presentation' Spitfires to bear the name, funded by donations from the people of Darlington in this instance (the other being funded by two individuals.) . Originally from a batch to be Mk1s, it was completed as one of the first MkVs, by Vickers Armstrong.
The inscription below the cockpit on the starboard side was in yellow, as shown in the attached photo which, here, has Sgt. Frank Jones of 72 sqn in the cockpit, the aircraft apparently being 'borrowed' from 92 sqn for the occasion.
I still haven't found any information regarding the lion/baboon insignia, but I still ,think there is a link, somewhere, with Rudyard Kipling.
(photo from Imperial War Museum)
There is a web-page covering the history of W3320, by Roger Darlington, and also a book, by Peter Caygill, entitled 'The Darlington Spitfire - a charmed life', published by Airlife. The web article doesn't show or mention the lion/baboon, but there's a possibility that the book might?
Hope this helps Charles.

Attachments

• Darlington Spit.jpg
    Darlington Spit.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 92
It's not a Baboon or a star and lion. I blew it up and inverted the colors to see if something would present itself and found that its an Angle on a cross with what looks like someone leaningover. See what you make of it...

Attachments

• insignia.jpg
    insignia.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 103
The curvy thing at the bottom looks like a snake. there is a person standing over it and looks like it is hugging a cross or tree. Then there is a figure over that leaning person whom I'm going to assume is a devil and an angle standing at the very top... do you see it?

:)

Last edited:
Nice find. But be aware that, as the author stated, some of these squadrons only used the aircraft briefly, (for example, 56 Squadron, who only had Spit MkIXs for a month), and the changes occured at varying times. Also, some of the squadrons shown, and the codes, were post war only.

Hello,
Due the number of victories, this Spitfire is very probably the Darlington Spitfire W3320 (very probably QJoN) flown by Kingaby in 92 Sqn between August and October 1941.
Here is baboon emblem on W3320
Kingaby D. E.-Spit Vb, W3320, QJ-N, 92 Sqn oct 1941.jpg

Here is the 122 Sqn emblem (a leopard on a blue star) on his Spitfire IX EN473 during March 1943
Kingaby D. E.-Spit IX, EN473, MT-Z, 122 Sqn mars 1943.JPG

HTH, regards
Steph

Users who are viewing this thread

Back