**** DONE: 1/48 Arado Ar-196-A - Jet/Recon/Transport GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think I know the one you mean, is it where one of the planes is being hoisted up over the starboard side?

Hmm. The pic I thought was Bismark turns out to be Prinz Eugen, in the USA at the end of the war! Might be the one you mean Paul, where the Arado is either being removed from, or placed on, the catapult.
I've now searched through all my magazines and books, and still can't find the article which I'm convinced I've seen.
But! I've discovered a DVD in the 'World War 2 in Colour' series, which includes Bismark, so I'll have a look at that over the weekend and see if it reveals anything.

You know, the more I look at that photo, the more I can see a definite shade difference on the wing and fuselage. I will go ahead and use a 72/73 splinter pattern, it seems to be correct for Bismarck, especially with a picture of an Ar-196 cellebrating a "100" launch from Bismarck in what has been identified as late 1940.
My Model Master 72 and 73 are really grey toned, however, on a check with RLM colors they seem right.
None of which have anything to do with these pictures.
Beaching dolly, and underside RLM 65.

ar8.jpg

ar9.jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff Paul.
Although all the pics (apart from early war) are showing a single colour (remembering these are all 1941 and later), the 'official' scheme for 1939 to at least late 1940 was the two-tone green, so I think you're right to go with that for 1940.
I've viewed one DVD so far, but nothing revealed - it was the wrong bl**dy disc!
I'll view the correct one and, if anything positive comes to light, I'll let you know.

Outstanding, old man!
Absent anything new I'll carry on, Thanks much for the effort!
It'll probably be a couple of days before I get to the painting. (Thanks to the old woman!)

I've now viewed the DVD Paul. Nothing conclusive, as there is no definite date, but the footage seems to be from early or mid 1940, and the Arado is seen only very briefly, but appears to show the two-tone scheme. It's now decision time!

Decision made, thanks to you Terry, and Wotjek. I have enough proof to state that the Bismarck's Arados were Splintered in a hard edge 72/73 scheme.
I will procede accordingly.
Thanks again for the effort you guys made!

Hey, Paul,
I was eyeing one of these on eBay. I think I just may go back and try to find one. I think the one I saw was in 1/48th. Love the work you have so far.
Dale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back