**** DONE: 1/48 Arado Ar-196-A - Jet/Recon/Transport GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

They.... are.... caling youuuuu.uu,uu..uuuuu..uu...uuuuuuu!

I've never claimed to be able to sing!

Last edited:
Color question, RLM 72/73, or 70/71? Seen both in profiles. This is 1940 on the Bismarck, mind. Also hard edge splinter or soft? Again, seen both. The only thing everyone agrees on is the underside 65.
I would appreciate any input.

My references for Maritime aircraft show RLM 02 up to the outbreak of war, and then upper surfaces in RLM 72/73 until 1941, when upper surface colour became RLM 72 overall. Both these, as you noted, had RLM 65 under surfaces.

Just replied to your PM Paul. I think I'd go with the 72/73/65.
EDIT: Just had a look at another reference - I'll send you a PM.

Last edited:
According to Ullmann, 72/73/65 was introduced on maritime aircraft in 1939 and used through 1945. For the Ar196, a single colour may have been applied on late war aircraft (no specifics).

In regard to hard vs soft edge, regardless of what the actual application would have been, at 1/72, I'd be masking your splinters.

Andy, I've just had a look at more references and pics (and PM'd Paul), where the change to 72 overall upper surface is evident throughout, the earliest photo being from early 1941 (albeit Luftwaffe, at Brest), with others from 1943 to 1945, in various theatres and locations, with Luftwaffe, KM, and other axis users. Profiles covering these periods also show the single upper-surface colour.
I'm a bit knackered at the moment (another painful 40+ hours without sleep), so can't think clearly, but I'm fairly sure that somewhere I have a more detailed reference, specifically for shipboard aircraft. I'm off to bed now, but if I can remember, when I eventually regain consciousness tomorrow, I'll have a search for it.

Haven't found that reference yet Paul, but I had a quick look at another book, with a pic of Bismark, and the colour appears to be the single colour in the B&W pic.
I'll keep looking, as I'm sure I have an article somewhere which was published when either the Revell 1/32nd scale kit, or the Italeri 1/48th scale kit was released. It'll be in my 'overflow files' I think (that is, one of two large piles of magazines in a corner!!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back