<> **** DONE: 1/48 F4U-7 (BuNo. 33710) - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks all. I keep forgetting about guitar strings Andy. Fuselage is finally glued together and setting up so I starting working on the tail section. The instructions call for a control arm to be mounted but I don't think it's there for this version...

Definitely there on the -4...

....but not seeing it on the -7

I haven't found a shot of the under surface yet

The french F4U-7s had the trim tabs as one piece with control system put inside while these F4U-1 sub-types had them consisted of two parts with control arms seen outside.

Here is enlarged shot you posted above with marked location of the control mechanizm.Unfortunately the starboard one is hidden under the ribbon.

Last edited:
Thanks Kirby, done. And thanks Wojtek. Found out that half of the trim tab is called a trim balance. So we fill in the line to make them one piece, fill in the actuator holes and scribe rectangles into the elevators

Doing stuff in between inning. There are 2 inserts behind the cockpit area, I`m assuming for different versions as there are 4 parts on the sprues though I can`t really tell them apart. A darn near perfect fit with only a bit of filing done on the inner lip to get them to sit flush.

A test fit of the wings and stabilizers shows a pretty fiddly fit

Too late for this stage but when I did my Corsair with wings down, I line up the upper halves before gluing the bottoms. That way I only had to deal with the underside alignment.

Thanks guys. Adding the lil bits prior to painting. A concern here was the pylons. They are on the bent portion of the wings and hang straight down as shown here...

My plan was to cut off the two attachment points, slightly angle the top of the pylon, drill and insert wire, then glue it to the wings..X 10. During the test fit I noticed the pylon was wobbly so I put it under my magnifying lamp and noticed that Hobbyboss had thoughtfully included the angle though it's hard to see here. I had wondered why, what seemed to be 10 identical parts were separated on the sprue tree

Users who are viewing this thread