**** DONE: 1/48 He 162A-2 Volksjäger - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Karl is right. The point is the slot for a bolt attaching the fin to the stabilizer. There were three bolts for that. Usually these can't be noticed because of a round sticker or a kind of a blind stopper. It can be noticed in the colour image below. However it appears that the area around the hole could stay without the cap. Also a couple of enlarged pics below reveals that the area around the apperture could be painted either with a primer ( another dope too ) or stayed of the underside paint ( RLM76) and then overpainted with the dark coat. I would say that the round area is of the RLM76 that the fin was initially painted with . Then the sticker could have been flaked off or removed by the maintenance crew while working or setting.

He162A_7.jpg

He162A_8.jpg

He162A_3.jpg

He162A_1.jpg

He162A_2.jpg

He162A_4.jpg

He162A_5.jpg

He162A_6.jpg

He162A_6a.jpg

Last edited:
Great detective work! Putty marks are easy to replicate (if you choose to do it) since they don't have to be perfectly uniform.

I like what Wojtek came up with about the sticker and will do that trying to find something in my decal stash that will look close. I've already located swastickas of the correct style and type so I hope to get it fixed later tonight

OK here it is. I found a decal that I could cut down and make look like what's in the picture. It's white instead of RLM 76 but I was lucky to find something that would work.. The streak behind the "circle" I figure is paint chipping along the bottom of the access panel so I put a bit of silver paint on there.

P5121777.JPG

I painted the trim tabs and did some other paint touch up then put on the panel line wash. The next step is the dull coat and putting on the small breakable bits. Looks like I'n going to finish with time to spare.

P5131778.JPG
P5131779.JPG
P5131781.JPG
P5131780.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back