**** DONE: 1/48 He 162A-2 Volksjäger - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Coming along nicely. Never really understood why kit makers have you install breaky offy things early in the build. Most of the time I can mod the part to fit later so it's not like it can't be thought out better by the kit makers.

Geo

I usually do that too George and I might have gotten away with it for the nose gear but it was imposable for the main gear. It's a miracle both legs have survived to this point with all the filling and fileing I've done

I started in on the main painting over the last few days. First RLM 78 on the bottom, then masked and sprayed RLM 71 on the top

P4301759.JPG
P5031765.JPG

Hmm, 78 and 71 seem an unusual combo for this rig to me but I've not looked into it and I could be wrong. My first guess might have been 76 on the bottom and a late war green like 82 up top.

You guys are probably right about the bottom color, the painting guide just said "Light Blue" and the only other possibility I had in my paint stocks was 65 and I know that's an early war color. The 71 on top was called out on the painting guide and I did question it a bit but it seemed to match the profile of this aircraft I have below. What would you guys use for the engine housing shown there? The only brownish RLM color I have on my paint stocks is 61

333424_c12432a89cc98f92174659aa1d7ebcdb.jpg

Never say never Glenn. While they guys are more than likely right, there were always oddities. I transferred all my references to the laptop I take into camp so I'll have a look when I get in tonight

Geo

Edit: The brown might be RLM 81

Last edited:
In one of references for the plane I found tthat there wasn't any particular camo scheme ordered by the RLM. All colours were stated by factory instructions that ordered painting different parts of the He-162 with different colours. For instance, the RLM81 for the fuselage, port wing and left stabilizer. The RLM82 for the starboard wing , right stabilizer and the engine cowling.The rear area of the engine cowling could be painted either with the RLM81 or the RLM82. The undersides were painted with RLM76. Often the exhaust nozzle was painted with the black colour. Also the RLM81 and RLM82 colours were intercharged.

I would say that the engine cowling in your profile is of the RLM81 while the fuselage is of the RLM82. It may suggest changing in places of the RLM81/RLM82 colours. The air intake to the engine looks like being of the RLM02. However the red or yellow paint can be as well.

Last edited:
That's pretty much how I was going to do it, one main top collor which I used 71 for and a browner green for the engine except I plan on doing NMF for the engine intake instead of that light green he used.
I've seen profiles of birds with the multiple colors but this does not seem to be one.

Don't know if this will help. This airframe stood at IWM Lambeth for many years, in it's original colours. It was moved to Duxford in 2014, and, although it looks like it's been re-painted, it will have been matched to the original shades.

Glenn 3.jpg

I'm starting to get a headache now :lol:
Ok, here's what I'm thinking now.
Andy, I think your right about the 76/82. I'm going to re- spray the upper surfaces with 82. The 76 is more difficult. I might try a reverse mask later.
I'm still not sure about the engine, the 81 I have looks too green wile the 61 closer to the profile.

Last edited:
81 was a goofy colour that could have come in various shades from dark olive to a brown shade. The colour in the profile looks to be 81 Braunviolet, the browner shade and if you can get close to the colour on the model in post 112 I don't think there would be any complaints. Now, what that guy did was paint one wing 81 and the other 82 but I don't think you could go wrong with painting the whole upper surface in 82.

I have some formulas for 82 based on Tamiya colours. I know Wayne uses XF-67 Nato Green. In reality it is quite a bright green

There's more on the model posted by Wojtek that better shows the colours here. He-162 Salamander

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back