**** DONE: 1/48 Ki-45 Toryu Kai Tei - Night War of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Now that the gloss coat has dried, it's time for the decals. I am using the tail insignia for the 53rd Sentai, which is a stylized "5" and "3", from the Aeromaster Empire Defenders sheet. I picked up the sheet used for a cheap price.

The insignia is two parts, white and yellow. Upon application of the first white insignia, I found the Aeromaster decal a bit thick and quite impervious to Micro Sol, which was a surprise. This is after 3-4 applications and some physical tamping down of the decal with a soft cloth. The "18" donated by Karl is the perfect size and also responded much better to the Micro Sol.
IMG_0145_zps2rx6da5n.jpg

Out of curiosity, I tried the Hasegawa decal on the other side to see if I could get it to settle down better than the Aeromaster decals. It worked much better so I decided to ditch the Aeromaster decals altogether and stick with the kit decals. Since the insignia overlaps the rudder joint, I had to do some cutting. It looks messy now but I'll clean it up after I get the yellow part on.
IMG_0147_zps6ug37cyc.jpg

The decals didn't break like the instrument panel decals did. They weren't the thinnest decals so I had to use multiple applications of Micro Sol and a knife and needle to get the decal into the panel lines and rivets.
IMG_0152_zps4xrsyawo.jpg

IMG_0153_zpsfnyqzvn4.jpg

After the decals were done, I gave the model a pastel wash.
IMG_0162_zpsbknplwsd.jpg

IMG_0163_zps6ixr2ogc.jpg

IMG_0167_zps3yg8ulgj.jpg

IMG_0171_zps132ayowo.jpg

Here's the tail insignia after the panel wash. The rudder links were painted to match the decal and glued into place. You can see some dirty wash under the link that needs to be cleaned off.
IMG_0170_zpsbhlua3h8.jpg

Added some bits and doodads at this point. The metal cannon barrel...
IMG_0173_zpsadmmhcea.jpg

The tail wheel...
IMG_0174_zps5ephyevo.jpg

The little fuel coolers...
IMG_0175_zpseot7amyx.jpg

The exhaust stains were painted...
IMG_0176_zps2vkkqfmg.jpg

I'm going to give the model a flat coat now and then its just a matter of final weathering, putting on the landing gear and removing the masks!

Thanks guys! After the matt coat was sprayed on, I pounced on the Toryu in a big flurry... paint chipping with a silver pencil... attachment of the landing gear and doors... removing the canopy masks... adding the oblique cannons, pitot and mast antenna... stretched sprue for the aerials. And so... Sgt. Negishi's Dragon Killer is complete!

JTK_9234_zpsd8v9dcsb.jpg

JTK_9233_zps6by9ttha.jpg

JTK_9243_zpsptangve3.jpg

JTK_9244_zpsndkcthsx.jpg

JTK_9240_zps3ratcdmo.jpg

JTK_9245_zpsjnffa7y0.jpg

JTK_9249_zpsu3lesisa.jpg

JTK_9250_zpsuyaqsubf.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with how the mottled camo turned out and I hope that it captures the unique look of the Japanese mottle pattern. Special thanks to Karl (Rochie)... the "18" numerals on the tail really capped off the markings. Now it's on to the German version of a mottled nightfighter. I'll post up a proper FINISHED post soon! Thanks for watching and commenting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back