++ **** DONE: 1/72 MiG-15bis - Military Conflicts of the 1950's

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys! Cool shot of the Red 325 Geo! I have not decided on a scheme yet but I'm leaning toward a camo pattern and have a few that I'm considering...

berelidz5_zpskgtizzmp.jpg

scan315_zpsnfyghfb8.jpg

CED32017_zpsgl278xne.jpg

HA2402-98221-Mig15-Golshevskij_zpsamtqrkam.jpg

Thanks gentlemen! The work on the MiG has continued over this past week but I haven't been able to log computer time. This post will bring the build up to date.

With an extra piece of lead glued onto the back of the cockpit tub, the fuselage halves are ready to be attached. The tail control surface is meant to be sandwiched between the two halves so that is put into place at this time.
IMG_2120_zpsjqhiorzb.jpg

The fusleage is fused together using Tamiya Extra Thin cement. Masking tape is used to hold the seams together while the glue dries. I'll jump back and forth from the fuselage work to other areas as glue and putty are allowed to dry.
IMG_2121_zpsvuyorxtf.jpg

The clear pieces have been dipped in Future and masked using the supplied masks.
IMG_2122_zpskajvcai0.jpg

I punched out a small disc to represent the landing light that is supposed to be housed in the intake splitter.
IMG_2123_zpsevjy0joj.jpg

IMG_2125_zps200mqyft.jpg

The clear opening was masked with a dab of MicroMask and the splitter was painted silver. It looks like my masking job came out a little ragged. I'll see if I can clean that up or maybe re-spray it.
IMG_2128_zpsj7rtgszl.jpg

The cleanup of the fuselage joints is underway.
IMG_2126_zpsoocr3lia.jpg

The gun bay is added at this point. Some clean up work is required here too.
IMG_2127_zpspp95ioui.jpg

The landing gear has been painted and given a dark wash to help accentuate the details.
IMG_2129_zps0usmtqwc.jpg

IMG_2130_zps4kw7jys6.jpg

IMG_2131_zpsjy13i7ic.jpg

Separate hubs at this scale are a very nice touch and give the wheels good definition.
IMG_2132_zpsk62bz1ru.jpg

Back to the fuselage where all of the joints have been given a coat of primer to check for imperfections.
IMG_2135_zpstxtwnj80.jpg

IMG_2136_zps43kropek.jpg

Looks ok but there are some ghost seams on the bottom that need to be addressed.
IMG_2133_zpsqealo6km.jpg

IMG_2134_zpsirapcvrb.jpg

The drop tanks have been primered as well.
IMG_2137_zpslf8fozdw.jpg

Continuing... rescribing and riveting on the drop tanks.
IMG_2138_zpsfdpanssb.jpg

Seam and rivet work on the gun bay area.
IMG_2139_zps2zx50yli.jpg

Parts of the fuselage, especially the tail, had a noticeably pebbly surface texture, which I tried to even out.
IMG_2140_zpse9mwgmdw.jpg

IMG_2142_zpsezhlc9i7.jpg

The window in the intake splitter was cleaned up using a toothpick dipped in iso alcohol.
IMG_2144_zpsnk9amcjx.jpg

I used a little piece of scrap plastic to represent the radio compass in the circular window.
IMG_2145_zpsvodwj64v.jpg

The nose cone was glued on to the front of the fuselage. The joint will be cleaned up after the glue dries.
IMG_2147_zpsk7bttsv7.jpg

IMG_2146_zpsezagrt7x.jpg

Thanks for the comments. A bit of delay on the MiG as I am working around some IT failures in my home. One of my hard drives crashed so I have to replace it and have unfortunately lost a few weeks worth of pictures due to my lax back-up schedule. I also attended to a dead PC in my daughter's room. The fans were gunked up with dust so a thorough cleaning was required. The graphics card had to be taken apart completely as the dust had infiltrated the fan assembly... felt a bit of pride when I got it running again.

Still need to replace my primary storage hard disk but I can work off the backup disk for now. Here are a few photos that were on my camera from this past weekend.

The drop tanks have been painted. I haven't decided yet but I may shoot them with a flat or satin coat to take some of the shine away.
IMG_2148_zpsw9w6xsds.jpg

Attachment of the wings to the fuselage left a bit of gap which will need to be cleaned up. Thes gap falls on a panel line, which makes the cleanup work a bit more tricky. I'll probably use the White Millput with water routine which would negate the need for any drastic sanding.
IMG_2149_zpsclqngext.jpg

IMG_2150_zps5g3tsfve.jpg

IMG_2151_zpsnuu7kunh.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back