**** DONE: GB-37 1/48 Bf109E-4 - Helicopters / Military a/c of BoB 1940 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne Little

Staff
Mod
Oct 7, 2006
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
Username : Wayne Little

First name : Wayne

Category : Judge – Non competing

Scale : 1/48

Manufacturer / Model : Hasegawa Bf109E-4

Extras : Eduard Cockpit Set and canopy Masks.

Finally getting started on GB37 on the side of Military Aircraft of Battle of Britain 1940 period and doing my third Bird for my JG53 collection, again another with the Red Ring identifier.

This aircraft has 6 victories on the vertical Stabilizer and been noted as flown by Hauptmann Harro Harder Gruppe Kommandeur of III/JG53 in early August 1940 from Villiaze in Guernsey.

As this aircraft was photographed at an earlier date with 2 victories and reference image with 6 victories, it clearly was not flown by Hptm. Harder on the 12th Sept. as he was killed in action on this day, the victory tally of 6 white bars does not match those claimed by Hptm. Harder as he only had 4 claims up to this date.

It is therefore more likely that the aircraft was taken over by Wolf-Dietrich Wilke who claimed his 6th victory on the 11th Sept and numbers 7-8 on the 15th Sept, making it quite possible the reference photo was taken during these few days when Wilke was appointed as Harders replacement.

In fact the second photo below shows Hauptmann Wilke in the Cockpit of the subject aircraft.

This aircraft was later photographed in November 1940, with 17 Victory bars, Yellow rudder and restored Ace of Spades Emblem on a Yellow cowling, at this time flown by Lt. Erich Schmidt.

Bf109E-4 Wilke_2625.jpg
Bf109E-4 Wilke_0142.jpg
Couple of Subject images.

First showing the aircraft with the 6 victories just visible on the tail and the Red Ring around the cowl. Second pic showing Hptm. Wolf-Dietrich Wilke in the cockpit of the Gruppen Kommander aircraft

Image sources Vol 1 JG53 Series by Jochen Prien and Osprey JGT53 Aces of 1940 by Chris Goss

Good one Wayne, and yes, interesting that it still has the early style cross.
When I get a spare minute or two, I'll see if there's any further info in Chris Goss's book "Brothers in Arms", which has a fairly comprehensive coverage of JG53 and the aircraft.

yeah, this one is now progressing quickly....couple of pics didn't work out so i'm a bit further ahead on the images and work.

The IP is done and other cockpit stuff done too and now in place.
4_Cockpit_0169.jpg
5_Cockpit fitted_0210.jpg
6_Cockpit fitted_0212.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back