**** DONE: GB-37 1/48 Hawker Hurricane I - Helicopters / Military a/c of BoB 1940

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

le_steph40

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 18, 2011
Montech
www.facebook.com
Username: Le_steph40
First name: Stéphane (Stéph)
Category: advanced
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Hasegawa 09323
Model Type: Hawker Hurricane Mk.I
Aftermarket addons: Aires cockpit set & control surfaces, Ultracast Exhausts and Pavla vacu canopy

The kit
09323.jpg

The cockpit set
4050.jpg

The control surfaces
4035.jpg

The vacu canopy
v48-05.jpg

And the exhausts
48043.jpg

I hope to receive the decal I need to finish the CR.42 before Sunday :eek::(:facepalm: :banghead:
For the moment, I think I'm going to start this build... 8-[

Last edited:
Good one Steph. Are you doing the kit scheme or something else? Remember that the theme of this build is for aircraft operating in the July to October months of 1940.

Also, you seem not to be sure of your category. You will need to decide that before we judge but I would suggest that you are amongst our more experienced builders.

Hello,

The project is Hawker Hurricane Mk.I, serial V7357, coded SD-F of 501 Sqn based at Kenley during September 1940. This mount was flown by Flight Sergeant James H. Lacey to destroy 4 enemy aircrafts (3 Bf 109E & He 111) + 2 damaged (Bf 109E & Do 17).
Infos here: LACEY James Henry and here James Harry Lacey - Wikipedia
Apparently, there is no picture of this aircraft, so she will be something like that. The letter code very probably read F-SD on the starboard side.

V7357.jpg

:)

Excellent....another Hurricane. She she be well represented inthis build as she was #1 in numbers and #1 in terms of # of German aircraft shot down. Sweet choice.

Jeff

Hello,
I just began this build but I would like to correct the profile. Du the period and the serial, I think V7357 wore the later style of fin flash.
V7357'.jpg

And, maybe without underwings roundels...?
V7357''.jpg

Any opinion ?
About that, I'm surprised to see numerous profiles of SD-X, V6799 (or V7497 ?) with an early style of fin flash... The photo clearly shows the later style but no underwings roundels...
V7497-500x282.png

PS: Wojtek, I'm not sure my thread is in the right place... :)

Last edited:
IMHO most of these profiles based on the well-know pic of taking off of the SD-N and SD-T. Not sure but the pic is said to be taken during BoB only with no date included. There is a shot of SD-L (?) with the early fin flash and the underwing roundel applied. The pic is said to be taken at the Betheniville in 1940.

HurriMkI SD-N SD-T.jpg

Hurricane_Mk_I_of_RAF_No_501_Squadron_at_Betheniville_1940.jpg

But there are also pics of the SD-U and SD-K that undoubtedly had the fin flashes of the late style .. but also the date of taking of the pics isn't mentioned. Additionally, both planes had the underwing roundel.

Hurri MkI SD-U.jpg

HurriMkI SD-K.jpg

I have enlarged your image and used the Gamma correction to reveal more details. Undobtedly the Hurricane had the late style fin flash what might indicate that at the late period of the BoB the Hurricanes of the squadron had the type of fin flashes applied. Regarding the underwing roundel... the pic isn't enough to state if there was the roundel. However a close up view may give an impression it was there. The pic is a time-lapse image and can omit the detail. We had the same problem with Andy's Fairey Battle of the Polish Bomber Squadron. The underwing roundels weren't noticed in the a time-lapse images taken from the distance but these taken closer revealed that the roundels were there indeed.

V7497.jpg

V7497_a.jpg

BTW here is a shot of SD-K , believing the caption taken at the RAF Filton in 1940. Please notice the Hurricane without the fin flash.

501 Sqdn RAF Filton 1940.jpg

501 Sqdn RAF Filton 1940_.jpg

And here two shots of the SD-H and SD-J with another Hurricane. Please notice that no fin flashes and no underwing roundels. What is more, both of them seem to have the port wings of the black.

HurriMkI SD-H.jpg

HurriMkI SD-J.jpg

To sum up .. IMHO these pics can be grouped for three periods of time...

1. The pics of the SD-V, SD-J with the Hurricane of the two-blade prop, SD-K at the RAF Filton and most probably the SD-H show planes with the Day-Night undersides. No fin flashes with no roundels on udersides. It is very possible these Hurricanes could be just about getting the underside roundels that were introduced there on 15th 05 1940. The pic of the SD-L shows just the destination camo with the early type of the fin flash and roundels on the Day-Night undersides. Also I would like to pay your attention to the code letters shape. All pic of the group show them being thicker than the later ones. What is more, the letter "D" is without the charcteristic edge protrusions at the top and bottom. So we can say that's the same period of time ... before June 1940

2. The image of the SD-N with the SD-T presents the time when the Sky S-typ was introduced on the undersides. Looking at the wheel doors of the port wings I can't say these were of the black so the undersides had to be repainted. Therefore the pic could have been taken after the 6th.06. 1940. Because the roundels on undersides got back there on the 1st 08 1940, the pic would have been taken just between the June and the August 1940. Additionally please make a focus on the shape of the code letters that seem to be thinner than those for the first group of pics. The pic of the SD-X can belong to the group. It seems that the shot could have been taken before the roundels on undersides appeared again. However the new in shape fin flash was just applied. The shape of the code letters is the same like in the pic with SD-N and SD-T.

3. The pics of the SD-U and SD-K show the final camo after the 1st 08.1940 when the roundels on undersides were restored. Undoubtedly the udersides are of the Sky S-type colour with roundels. The fin flash of both Hurricanes is of the later style. Also the code letters are of the same style like for the second group.

According to the groups for the period of time I would say the SD-F could be either of the earlier fin flash with no roundels on undersides or of the late fin flash with roundles at the bottom. Both variants with the thin code letters. Of course the intermediate variant of the camo I mean the one of the SD-X is possible too. All that depends on the time and when or if the plane was lost.That's my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back