**** DONE: GB-39 1/72 Bf109E-3 Obfw. J.Arnoldy - Battle for France to Battle of Britain

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ArmouredSprue

Senior Airman
Feb 26, 2013
Adelaide SA
Username : ArmouredSprue
First name : Paulo
Category: Advanced
Scale : 1/72
Manufacturer / Model : Tamiya Bf109E-3
Extras: Out-Of-The-Box except for the Synthetic Fibre harness, EZ Line aerial.

Bf109E-3 "WEISSE 5" Obfw. Jakob Arnoldy, Mandal 1940 (Tamiya 1/72)

HI all

This is my next project. The kit is the Tamiya Bf109E-3.

My intention is to make one of the decal options for the aircraft flown by Obfw. Jakob Arnoldy during the Battle of Britain. He was attached to 4./JG77 based on Mandal in 1940. During that time he was flying the "Weisse 5"which was a Bf109E-3 WNr.1276. The painting scheme is RLM71, RLM02 over RLM65 which was characteristic of the period.

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E3-4.JG77-White-5-Jakob-Arnoldy-WNr-1276-Norway-Apr-1940-01.jpg

Bf109E-3 "Weisse 5" Wnr. 1276, Obfw Jakob Arnoldy, Mandal September 1940
109E3-4.JG77-%2528W5%252B-%2529-Jakob-Arnoldy-WNr-5277-sd-by-RAF-33Sqn-John-Mackie-15th-Apr-1941.jpg

Here is a shot of his another "White 5" being also the E-3 type. It seems to be the kite he was shot down. Believing the caption it's Bf 109E3, 4.JG77, WNr 5277 shot down by RAF 33 Sqn, John Mackie, on the15th April 1941.

The kit:

0001.jpg

This kit is quite simple and inside the box you'll find one grey sprue with all major parts for assembly, one clear sprue with the canopy parts, decals and instructions sheet.

0002.jpg

I quickly started by painting the interior with RLM02. In this case I have used Gunze RLM02.

0003.jpg

0004.jpg

0005.jpg

0006.jpg

Next I started brush painting the cockpit details using Tamiya acrylics.

0007.jpg

0008.jpg

To be continued!

Last edited:
Thanks for following the journey guys. Not much has been done since I'm also working on a Beaufort (special hobby) in parallel. I did a little bit of weathering on the cockpit floor but not worth sharing at this paoint.
More updates soon
Cheers

Good work so far.
So 'Special Hobby' have finally released the Beaufort ?
Haven't seen it in the UK yet, and would be interested to learn what it's like.

Good work so far.
So 'Special Hobby' have finally released the Beaufort ?
Haven't seen it in the UK yet, and would be interested to learn what it's like.

Yes mate! i think they have it for a while now and a few different boxes as well. The version I got is for the Aussie built under licence with pratt whitney engines.
The kit is a little trick, the canopy is wider than the fuselage, which requires you to insert a plasticard when joining the fuselage halves to avoide it ( I didn't, learned it later)

Some progress done on the cockpit.

Firstly I painted the floor with GUNZE acrylic H70 RLM02 and weathered using water colours pencil silver and Tamiya Panel Accent BLACK.

IMG_1435.jpg

Following I worked on the firewall, basic painting to pick up the details using Tamiya XF-63 German Grey for the cannon butt, GUNZE acrylics H8 SILVER for the pedals and GUNZE acrylic H70 RLM02 and weathered using water colours pencil silver and Tamiya Panel Accent BLACK. I added a piece of lead foil for the pedal straps and painted it GUNZE H66 RLM79 to simulate leather.

IMG_1434.jpg

Next I drilled the seat belt aperture and added the seat belts, fiber material seat belts from KAMIZUKURI (870-0906). I'm not sure about the colour though, I'll probably need to paint it. I also weathered it using water colour pencil silver.

IMG_1433.jpg

The instruments panel was painted Tamiya XF-63 German Grey and than I used the supplied decals. I did added the filter pump control lever made of a piece of photo etch scrap.

IMG_1436.jpg

To be continued!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back