**** DONE: GB-39 1/72 Spitfire Mk.I – Battle for France to Battle of Britain

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thankyou. Today I put the two fuselage halves together, attached the wings, masked the canopy and attached it (in temporary fashion) to the fuselage. I did the same using PVA for the side access hatch. Sealed the seams and sanded them smooth. Im very happy with the seams at the wing root, less so with the fuselage halve seams.

Ive applied the Earth brown base coat, im reasonably happy with the finish. For the moment Ive decided to keep the tail assembly unattached as I prepare to apply the camo masks.

Progress shots

wings and fuselage joined.jpg

wings and fuselage joined 2.jpg

wings and base coat.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Wotjek. I hope im not making a mistake. most people have opted either for a freehand application or from the internet, have the masking raised off the base coat so as to achieve soft edges. Ive seen some people use rolled poster putty under the masking to achieve this raised 9soft edge) effect. It looks pretty good, but ive had little success in replicating those results

I tested this method at roughly the scale Im using and wasn't happy There was simply too much over spray around the raised edge for me to be happy with it, and the shapes just didn't look right. Almost certainly is simply a product of my inexperience, but I need to find a method that works for me, not satisfying the accepted norms necessarily.

So ive opted for masking flush against the model skin, using labelling paper (paper with removable adhesive on one side). in testing it has worked pretty well, though for insurance I will apply a clear hardcoat over the paper to prevent bleeds. in many ways what im trying out resembles pre-cut masks …….I think.

If it doesn't work I haven't lost much except time. I will just start again I guess . I should know by the weekend

I see. The main trouble is the the soft edges can be seen with 1:1 scale, right? The smaller plane is the smaller areas of the overspraying are.
If we assume the demarkation line between two colours with the oversprayed areas in 1:1 scale is 2,5cm ( 1 inch) , the same area in 1/72 scale is 0.035 mm wide. So technically that's a simple line.

Last night I finished the masking process and applied a clear hardcoat to the masking (just brushing it on). the hardcoat is just a bit of insurance against bleeds through the gloss paper.

This morning I mixed the paint , 5 parts XF-62 to 1 part XF58. I also mixed in 6 parts of acrylic thinner, with a low pressure in the compressor (about 15 psi)

Here are the results:

Masking on.jpg

RAF Green applied.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm anxious to check the seams between the colours. I've always had difficulties with those in the past. Im hopeful this new method might solve those bleed issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Back