Thanks Wotjek. I hope im not making a mistake. most people have opted either for a freehand application or from the internet, have the masking raised off the base coat so as to achieve soft edges. Ive seen some people use rolled poster putty under the masking to achieve this raised 9soft edge) effect. It looks pretty good, but ive had little success in replicating those results
I tested this method at roughly the scale Im using and wasn't happy There was simply too much over spray around the raised edge for me to be happy with it, and the shapes just didn't look right. Almost certainly is simply a product of my inexperience, but I need to find a method that works for me, not satisfying the accepted norms necessarily.
So ive opted for masking flush against the model skin, using labelling paper (paper with removable adhesive on one side). in testing it has worked pretty well, though for insurance I will apply a clear hardcoat over the paper to prevent bleeds. in many ways what im trying out resembles pre-cut masks …….I think.
If it doesn't work I haven't lost much except time. I will just start again I guess . I should know by the weekend