**** DONE: GB-39 1/72 Spitfire Mk.I – Battle for France to Battle of Britain

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bit of a dilemma now...…..the colour match seems to be a bit off but not so bad as to be a total respray or do I retain it and finish as is. The surviving museum pieces seem to display a range of shades to the base colour …..that picture of "XTO" is probably even a shade or two darker, or at least less "red" than mine, im hoping that the clear coat might have the subtle toning down effect that im looking for. But is "XTO" even an accurate representation of the camo scheme? I do know that there is a wide variety in the hues available on the internet, and the colour mix ive applied for that brown followed the Tamiya painting instructions......XF-52:1 + XF64:1
Will need to think some more as other wise I think the painting has progressed fairly well

Hardcoat applied to the skin and exhausts painted up and attached. just standing around waiting for paint to dry.....

Exhusts fitted.jpg

MSo, the main decals are on, and generally okay, though by no means perfect...…..I will let the photos do the talking I think.....

Decals I.jpg

I had to go back and use decal softener to try and get that enormous crinkle in the starboard side roundel. I think I have got it out now...…

Decals port side.jpg
Decals port side 2.jpg

More wrinkles above the W. I ve applied bucket loads of setting agent. I think its worked now, but will wait until morning

Decals Stbd side.jpg

Hopefully they'll setle down OK. Most Tamiya decals from this period (late 1990s) tended to be rather thick, but do settle eventually.

Incidentally, for general information, I've been able to establish that armour plate, self-sealing tanks and the 'second generation' De Wilde ammunition started to be introduced in late March / early April, 1940., with the 'bullet proof' windscreens being fitted slightly earlier.

Agree with Bill.

BTW when I spoke with a couple if aircraft restorers, mention was made of the fact that various shades of Dark Earth show up on modern RAF flyers as the colour is quite hard to replicate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back