**** DONE: GB-62 1/48 Spitfire Mk.I - Spitfires

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Fixed!!! Didn't want to give up real easy, but no damage done. While waiting for that to cure I added some of the lower bits. Prop just for show. AND, while waiting for the added bits to cure I have the bonus truck ready for its final semi-gloss coat (when the Spit gets its final).

Mk.1 Gloss port II.jpg

Mk.I Gloss SB II.jpg

Mk.I bonus truck port.jpg

Last edited:
When you first begin you have to choose open or closed canopy, selecting the appropriate fuselage insert. As shown below for the starboard side, B11 (closed) or B20 (open), These parts are what carry that detail. Comparable choice for port side.

View attachment 781645
Better have your mind made up Reallllly quick!
I may start doing them Closed, too much crud floats in the air
and then gently fills the cockpit, well, almost.

My 'build angel' saved me again. So many times I came close to gluing the open cockpit door on the fuselage, but my 'angle' kept saying DON'T. Now I see why. This is why I try and not attach any of the small bits, especially on the underside, a decal will usually come and bite you.

The decals, in the image, are still wet with softening solution, so they will get better in an hour or so. I hope!!

Door Decal.jpg

Looking good.
Two questions - first, is there a separate clear part yet to be fitted for the armoured windscreen?
Second, what on earth are those two "lumps" on the outside of the door ?
I've never seen them on any Spitfire.

Yes Terry, the kit has an armoured windscreen which would be attached at the back end of the build, there are two to choose from depending on what type one is building. As for the two lumps on the door, I think it is Tamiya being helpful again and providing a couple of raised supports for fastening the door in the open position. On the alternate kit part where the door and cockpit is shown closed, similar marks are not on the door. :thumbright::lol:

Yes Terry, the kit has an armoured windscreen which would be attached at the back end of the build, there are two to choose from depending on what type one is building. As for the two lumps on the door, I think it is Tamiya being helpful again and providing a couple of raised supports for fastening the door in the open position. On the alternate kit part where the door and cockpit is shown closed, similar marks are not on the door. :thumbright::lol:
Vic, thanks for doing the answering! For me, the armored screen will be attached after the final semi coat to get that finish on the windscreen framing, and removing glass masking. I'll spritz the screen by itself, then clear glue on. As for the door lumps, Vic has guessed well.

Thanks, Vic and Ralph.
Another good idea, especially for the door, as so many Spit models are spoiled by the door being at the wrong angle when open.

Thoughts??? The gun port patches. I can use the decals provided (not preferred), try and mask for a red patch, or....use some of the Washi tape (color is close) to simulate the patches? Not knowing what the original patches were made from, my suspicion is some type of cloth? But this may be a more 'realistic' representation? These shown are just stuck on pre semi gloss finish, so 'may' look better then?

gun port patches.jpg

As for the decals laying down. Here is the starboard wing roundel. As can be seen it did lay down after multiple softener applications. Unfortunately the color transition lines show as well; I need to get better at that, thinner at the edges. With the keep out walk band being under the roundel, there was no chance it could conform to the wing panel line, unless I cut it. Pebble finish anyone! Really dislike those close ups!! Again pre final finish, so it may improve?

wing roundel decal.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back