**** DONE: GB-62 1/48 Spitfire Mk.I - Spitfires

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking nice! :thumbright: The patches for the MGs slots were of a fabric. IMHO the appearance of yours is correct. :thumbright:

Thoughts??? The gun port patches. I can use the decals provided (not preferred), try and mask for a red patch, or....use some of the Washi tape (color is close) to simulate the patches? Not knowing what the original patches were made from, my suspicion is some type of cloth? But this may be a more 'realistic' representation? These shown are just stuck on pre semi gloss finish, so 'may' look better then?

View attachment 782288

As for the decals laying down. Here is the starboard wing roundel. As can be seen it did lay down after multiple softener applications. Unfortunately the color transition lines show as well; I need to get better at that, thinner at the edges. With the keep out walk band being under the roundel, there was no chance it could conform to the wing panel line, unless I cut it. Pebble finish anyone! Really dislike those close ups!! Again pre final finish, so it may improve?

View attachment 782289
The tape used to cover the gun barrel outlets was like a red duct type tape. I would think to used the decals as when applied with a bit of microsol would tighten up and leave the covered indents for the holes.

Here ...

View: https://youtu.be/kjdNlCxSzUE

gun.jpg

That Spit, from 72 Sqn based at Acklington in Northumberland, is going to be the subject for my Revell 1/32nd scale kit, which I'd hoped to enter into this GB.
Doubt I'll have the time though, as I'll be back and forth from Norfolk from next week until the end of September, and the B-24 project has priority.

That Spit, from 72 Sqn based at Acklington in Northumberland, is going to be the subject for my Revell 1/32nd scale kit, which I'd hoped to enter into this GB.
Doubt I'll have the time though, as I'll be back and forth from Norfolk from next week until the end of September, and the B-24 project has priority.
Your opinion of the Revell kit? Assuming you're speaking of the newer Revell Germany kit?

Yep, the one released around 2013 or 15.
Overall, it's quite good, but there are some errors, probably due to being modelled from a restored aircraft.
The prop spinner is slightly odd, the ailerons are the wrong type (metal-covered, rather than fabric), and the oil cooler fairing is the Mk.V type. Also, the armoured windscreen looks a little strange, but should be passable.
The wheels are very odd too.
However, I have a resin correction kit for the radiator, oil cooler and ailerons, along with a resin Rotol prop, and resin wheels and exhausts.
It compares well with their MkIX, which I built as a Mk.VIII a couple of years back, and was a very nice kit.

Revell Spit II.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back