**** DONE: GB-62 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Ia - Spitfires

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vic Balshaw

Major General
20,980
7,354
Jul 20, 2009
Canberra
Username: Vic Balshaw
First name: Vic
Category: Advanced
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Tamiya No 61119

Extras:
Aires 4781 Wheels. Eduards ED648456 Exhaust. Eduard EDEX643 Mask. Eduard EDFE960 Interior Detail. Eduard EDFE961 Harness. Kit World KW3D1481048 Instrument Panel. Master AM-48-164 Armament. Quick Boost QB48876 Gun Barrel Ends.

20231117 1 DW-K 610 Sqdn.jpg


P9495 took its first flight on 15th April 1940, issued to 610 (County of Chester) Squadron RAF and was struck off charge on 24th August 1940 after being damaged by Bf-109s near Dover on 12th August 1940. :lol: :lol:
 
Last edited:
The kit as Ralph will testify has a good deal of detail and building confusion. I'm adding to this with a swag of extras that I may or may not use, depending on mood and the extra's enhancement of ease of fit.

20240418 1.JPG


I've gathered quite a bit of info on the airframes short life and trust that the accuracy is reasonably good.

610 Squadron RAF received 4 Spitfires Mk.Ia which used the code DW-K. The Spitfire P9495 was the second one, which replaced the Spitfire N3289 coded DW-K, which was flown by Flying Officer J K Wilson who was reported lost in air operations over Dunkirk on the 29 May 1940.

Spitfire P9495 was part of the 3rd production order and originally had "white and night" undersufaces, which were repainted in Sky type S, when the aircraft arrived with the squadron, early June 1940.

The aircraft was flown by a number of pilots during its short life, the last being Stanley John Arnfield on the 12 August when P9495 was severely damaged during the mission, and although the pilot managed to perform a safe landing, it was scrapped soon after.
Source: Internet.
 
There are a lot of fiddly details in this cockpit and I'm finding that my fingers are no longer a nimble, it's a pain in the proverbial.

Cranky grumble aside, we solder on and tomorrow may start some spraying and hand painting. In the meantime I decided to follow Georges example and drill, drill, drill on one of the internal frame supports. I did the main one behind the pilots seat and considered doing the one behind the pneumatic compressed air bottles. But decided that drilling out the lightening holes may weaken or even break this rather thin plastic frame. :-x

20240522 1.JPG

:lol::lol:
 
Beauty. I thought about the wash as well but I already had the .64 or something like that drill bit in hand
I have the drill bit George, just don't have the guts!

Thanks for the interest gents, here is a little update. The major parts of the cockpit are painted and partly assembled, the next step is a bit of weathering and sealing then we will position them and button the whole thing up. Here's a few progress pics.
20240525 1.JPG

20240525 2.JPG

20240525 3.JPG

20240525 4.JPG

20240525 5.JPG

Thanks for looking in. :lol: :lol:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back