**** DONE: GB-40 1/72 Ju87 D/G - Heavy Hitters III (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

parsifal

Colonel
Apr 6, 2008
Orange NSW
Username: Parsifal
First name: Michael
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/72
Manufacturer: Revell
Aftermarket addons: (leftover} Yahu harness (maybe)

My nomination for this GB is the Revell Ju87 D/G, which I intend to complete in the D configuration, painted to depict aircraft from either 10 (pz) St.G-3 Jakobstadt Lettland; July 1944 or Ju87D-3 of 4/St.G2 July 1944.

The revell kit is far from a new kit. Its biggest drawbacks are that it uses raised panel lines and the interior is best described as "spartan". The fujimi kit is considered far better in both these respects. It is an old kit , the original I believe dates back to 1975, perhaps older. In its favour it is well made, with no real fit issues, and updated decals. Clear parts are a bit chunky, but still reasonably clear.

My intention for this kit are to make a few detail changes where I can……I have some leftover harnesses from Yahu. I will try and improve the interior detailing a bit. I haven't decided yet whether to tackle the raised panel lines

Scott Aiken, in his build review of this kit describes it thus…."Though the kit was old, it built well. That is one of the major benefits of not having a ton of parts. In fact, I recall it building rather quickly. I did know that RLM 02 was a cockpit interior color and so that is what the interior was painted. You really cannot see much of it through the rather thick plastic, but again, this isn't a kit that the 'obsessed' will be building anyway!"

Box Art I.jpg

Clear parts I.jpg

Decal Sheet.jpg

Instructions.jpg

Sprue 1.jpg

Sprue 2.jpg

Sprue 3.jpg

Sprue 4.jpg

Image sources

Copyright © 2018 · Scale Modelling Now · Online Scale Modelling Magazine · Scale Modelling Techniques and Tips

Last edited:
Good stuff Michael. Note that the version with the underslung cannon is a tank buster ground attack aircraft and wouldn't meet the spirit of the GB. Build it as a dive bomber and we're cool.

roger that. I would say that I didn't have a lot of choice in this. Wont buy online anymore...too harmful to local business ( as I watched the previous hobby shop close its doors 6 months ago) and postal charges are now generally too exorbitant and too slow to be useful. there is a local hobby shop just started, and the only WWII bombers in 1/72 scale that they had were this one and a lanc. The lanc was priced at over $130 AU which was simply beyond my price range for a GB. So it was this one, or nothin really

There were no 1/48th scale other than an SBD . Truckloads of Spitfires and Mustangs though

As it was this kit cost the best part of 45 bucks which is way overpriced, but given the latest revelations in delivery charges, this is about as good as it gets in this part of the world.

Things are a bit better in the capital cities around oz, but the so-called online shopping revolution has proved to be a business disaster for many parts of regional Oz. Just the same, the local choices are very constrained......I need to go to Sydney for a buying weekend I think.

Last edited:
complicated mold that you have chosen, this I have repeated twice one is to mount it myself and another my daughter who this year has decided to make some model next to me ....

Evans markings arrived today thanks very much evan. Currently trying to work out how the decals are to be applied. ive PM'd evan for some help but if anyone has a scheme showing how these decals might be applied....

I will take a photo of the decal sheet and post it tonite

And here is the photo of the Hungarian decal sheet. I now notice that twirly thingy is also on the German sheet.....

kit supplied sheet

Decal Sheet.jpg

kit decal instructions
Instructions.jpg

Hungarian option
hungarian Decals.jpg

Last edited:
Here you are the diagram. It should help if Evan wouldn't be able to find the diagram or answer soon. This is from the 1/48 HAD decal sheet for the particular Ju-87. I edited two numbers only because all the rest of the numbering was the same as in the pic of Evan's decal markings.

Ju87Hung_1.jpg
Ju87Hung_2.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't find a good shot of the kite to confirm the correct locations of markings especially of the triangle stencils. However the profile above seems to be correct and following the rules of Magyar markings of the Ju-87D..Not sure but these triangles of the Evan's sheet seem to be of the "sandwich" type (15/15a) so it means you have to apply the white backgrounds (15) and then the red-browish smaller ones (15a) on the white ones.. It is because the stencils should have the white outline. However there should have been one yellow triangle at least. IMHO you should use these form the Revell sheet and follow the kit instruction for applying of them correctly. The basic set for the triangle stencils seems to be one red-brown and two yellow ones. The red-brown stencil should be next to the oil filler slot at the port side while the yellow ones for the fuel filler slots on both sides of the fuselage below the pilot cockpit. See the attached pics.

Ju-97D-5 stencils_2.jpg

Ju-97D-5 stencils_1.jpg

Ju-97D-5 stencils_2a.jpg

Ju-97D-5 stencils_3.jpg

Ju-97D-5 stencils_4.jpg

the pic source: Kagero -MON-3054 54 - Junkers Ju 87D/G vol.I

However I have seen these red-browish stencils also at the top of the fuselage in front of the cockpit windshield and behind the spinner as well.

Ju87Hung_2b.jpg

Ju87Hung_2c.jpg

the pic source: the Internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back