**** DONE GB-43 1/72 Spitfire Mk. XIV - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
Username: N4521U
First name: Bill
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Academy #2130
Model: Spitfire Mk. XIV
Scale: 1:72
Extras: Having decals printed, from meown artwork, just so colors are consistant.
Using a pilot from another kit, it will be in flight.
This build reflects the AC used in the destruction of the Me262 of Fw. Rudolf Hoffman 1945

GB43_G1-1a.jpgGB43_G1-1b.jpgGB43_G1-1c.jpgGB43_G1-1d.jpgGB43_G1-1e.jpg

TONY GAZE
Tony Gaze finished the war a double-Ace with 11 destroys and 3 shared, including an Me262 and Arado 234, 4 probables and one V1. He was the first Australian to destroy an enemy jet in combat and the first Australian to fly a jet in combat. He has the rare distinction of being awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross three times (DFC with 2 bars) which only 48 people have received in its history.

After the war in 1948 Freddie March [The Earl of Richmond] opened the 'Goodwood' circuit with an event organised by the Junior Car Club of Great Britain. Freddie had acted upon Tony's suggestion of some two years before, that the perimeter tracks of RAF Westhampnett would make an ideal motor racing circuit. The track of the ex RAF Fighter Station, opened its gates on the 18th September 1948 to host Britain's very first post-war motor race meeting at a permanent venue with the young Stirling Moss taking out the 500cc race (Formula 3), while P. de F. C. Pycroft won the main race of the day.

In January 2006 Tony was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM), in recognition of his outstanding achievements and service to the Commonwealth. His extraordinary life both as an Ace RAF Fighter Pilot in WWII, and later as a successful Grand Prix Racing Driver, indeed mark him as a most remarkable and outstanding Australian.

Squadron Leader F.A.O. [Tony] Gaze, OAM, DFC and 2 Bars.
Tony passed away peacefully in the early hours of Monday morning the 29th July,
2013 at Geelong, Victoria. He was 93 years old.

Last edited:
So I'm sailoring on. My first couple of days work on this one.
Cut the rudder off, separated the elevators. The styrene pieces will be shaped round for the pivoting leading edges.
As for the Flippers, ailerons, They are deeper into the wing on the bottom side so too difficult to do surgery on so I made a mold of them. I'll cast the trailing edge and shape them as needed then I can remove what is needed for them from the kit wing, leaving the upper surface in place. Less fiddly on the kit wing... Next installment.

GB43_G1-B1.jpg

So now details of movable surfaces.....
First photo; on the left is the styrene added to the pivot edge, middle that has been rounded to fit in the round filed trailing edge of the vert stab.
Second photo; the rudder fits into that hollow.
Third photo; unsuccesful first cas of the elevators, it happens. Not enough solids!!!!!
Fourth photo; before fusey halves attached I filed at 45 degrees each side for the hollow for rudder.
Fith photo; the leading edge of rudder shaped to fit hollow.
Sixth photo; the rudder in place before it all goes together.

Now for the cockpit.
Loving how fast 1/72nd goes together!!!!!!!!!

Backup_of_GB43_G1-B2a.jpgBackup_of_GB43_G1-B2b.jpgBackup_of_GB43_G1-B2c.jpgBackup_of_GB43_G1-B2d.jpgBackup_of_GB43_G1-B2e.jpgBackup_of_GB43_G1-B2g.jpg

Good stuff Bill.
One point though - the Mk.XIV had the increased mass balance on the elevators, with a 'straight' end.The red arrow indicates the moulded line where the edge runs to the angled cut.

Spit elev.jpg

Good stuff Bill.
One point though - the Mk.XIV had the increased mass balance on the elevators, with a 'straight' end.The red arrow indicates the moulded line where the edge runs to the angled cut.

Noted and corrected........ Thanks for that.
Details escape me!!

Silly me, forgot to add the latest photos.....
Out of the mold, finally a couple of good ones...
This is how it starts, shaving out what's not wanted...
One to go....
Just some adding and fitting...
Horiz stabs corrected...... as advised!

GB43_G1-B3.jpgGB43_G1-B4.jpgGB43_G1-B5.jpgGB43_G1-B6.jpg

Thanks guys.............
So with the prop, no jig for 5 blades...............?
No problem.
1. Measure the base of the spinner, in this case 10.22mm. Then the r=5.11mm
2. Measure the length of the prop blade, in this case 17.48mm. now add the 5.11 and the overall Dia is 44.18mm
3. In my graphics program I made a 10.22 Dia circle with a 44.18 circle centered.
4. Now an INscribed 5 point star in the 44.18 circle.
5. Gluetac the spinner in place with the blade holess in-line with the points.
6. Glue in Place............easy peasy.

BTW, I have been stretching sprue for a long time, sometimes with luck, mostly not.
Thing is I tried with this Old Spit kit, the plastic seems a bit Harder than most..........
Success!!!!!!! the picture is a piece stretched from just a 20mm straight length........... Amazing....

GB43_G1-B7.jpgGB43_G1-B8.jpg

Good stuff Bill. I tried to stretch sprue using my new Spitfire tree and the longest I could get it was about an inch before it broke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back