**** DONE GB-43 1/72 Spitfire Mk. XIV - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The problem seems to be that the plastic wasn't warmed up enough. Here my one about 180 cm ( ~ 70.87" - 5.9 ft ) long.

DSCN0834.jpg

Thanks for all the sprue lessons!!!! :rolleyes:
Been picking away at this one as well as the 262.
Elevators in place.
Wheel doors and wheels tucked in, this one is in the air!!!
Albeit diving after the jet!!!!
GB43_G1-B9.jpg

Looking good Bill.
Maybe you haven't finished the canopy masking, but the rear glazing needs a narrower frame, shown by the red line under the white arrow, covering the clear area, and the windscreen needs more masking at the base, and at the small, top, triangular pane, shown by the red areas, and also the main frame, where it meets the hood.

Bills Spit.jpg

Looking good Bill.
Maybe you haven't finished the canopy masking, but the rear glazing needs a narrower frame, shown by the red line under the white arrow, covering the clear area, and the windscreen needs more masking at the base, and at the small, top, triangular pane, shown by the red areas, and also the main frame, where it meets the hood.

I do understand where you are coming from Terry,
I was just masking to the frame cast on the kit canopy.
Not sure if I can sand and polish to what you are pointing out.
1/72nd???? If it was a larger scale I might give it a go,
will have to think on it.
Thanks for pointing that out......

BTW, late entry, I faked it, altered the masking. Who's gonna know!!!!!

Bill ... I have gathered four enlarged shots showing the cockpit glazing of the Mk.XIV Spits. As you may notice the rear part of the glazing doeasn't need the front frame painted because the back one of the bulged and slided back hood was enough wide to cover the front edge of the glass there. So when the cockpit was closed the front part of the rear glazing frame wasn't seen at all. Unless you want to slide the central hood back partially then the frame should be painted. In many pics it is almost unnoticed especially if the hood is moved back fully. The other corrections like Terry said.

Spitfire Mk XIV  RB142_.jpg

Spitfire Mk XIV  RB151_.jpg

Spitfire Mk XIV  RM958_.jpg

Spitfire Mk XIV  RM693_.jpg

the pic source: Supermarine Spitfire part 2 | World War Photos

I couldn't find any shot of a good quality showing the Mk.XIV frame but found for Mk.IX and Mk.V. I don't think the Mk.XIV got it wider though.

spit frame1b.jpg

spit frame1a.jpg

spit frame1.jpg

the pic source: RAF Air Wings

To sum up..

the masking for the rear glazing should look like that ..

spitframe2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back