**** DONE: GB-44 1/48 F-5E - Military A/C of post-war time

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pics 1, 2,3, and 5. Reminds me of the prank where a bunch of students let 4 sheep loose in a large university building. They were spray painted 1,2,3, and 5. The cops spent a long time looking for number 4.

Oops !
I think I have a dyslexic kyebaord !

Thanks Karl, but it looks like the kit decals should work, and I have the Italeri (ex-Academy) Hunter, with the Swiss decals.

Following the disaster with paint on the Mirage build (see the Mirage thread in this GB), I'll now concentrate on this build, for now at least, although I hope to keep the Mirage 'alive', as I've grabbed another kit (Eduard) at a very reasonable price.
I've also scrapped the idea of using the PE instrument panel, and have ordered some resin wheels, and a brass pitot and cannon set - the thread header has been edited accordingly.
Work has started on re-painting the old Monogram instrument panel, and some scratch-building of cockpit sidewall detail, and I hope to have some pics up later tonight.

A little bit to show so far, with the base colours painted on the old Monogram instrument panel, and the start of some cockpit side wall detail.
The panel is actually a light grey blue, not unlike RLM 76, but doesn't show up that well under the halogen light. Once this (thinned) paint has fully hardened, the various raised panels will be straightened by re-touching,, and the detail and colours added. Some of the raised detail was 'softened'. almost lost, during the cleaning process, removing the 40 year old paint !
The starboard side wall has to have the canopy handle made and added, along with a cockpit lamp and some additional frame work. The port side is similar, with the cutouts, but no handle.
I hope to get a bit more done sometime over the weekend, so back then ...............

F-5E Swiss build 021.JPG
F-5E Swiss build 022.JPG

Bit more cockpit detail added, using plastic card, strip, rod and stretched sprue.

F-5E Swiss build 024.JPG
F-5E Swiss build 025.JPG
F-5E Swiss build 026.JPG
F-5E Swiss build 029.JPG

Great stuff Terry. Are you going to do anything about the complex detail behind the seat? I was trying to pull my hair out doing that but I don't have any.

Thanks Andy.
The kit includes some detail for the canopy lift mechanism, which I'll try to add to, and I'll also add a bit of detail to the 'boxes' behind the cockpit, mainly in the form of wiring, although much of this is buried in the 'tunnel' of the fuselage, and not all of it is fully visible.

The cockpit tub has now been painted and the instrument panel is done, although a little re-touching will be required once the paint has fully dried.
Some of the instrument decals were cut from the kit panel and side console decals, and adapted to try to simulate the instrument panel on the Swiss F-5E as best as possible, with the rest being painted, including 'painting in' some of the decal instruments. Some of the painted, raised detail got slightly smudged when handling, hence the need for the re-touching !
The two short, white rods at the front of the side consoles have been added as supports for the instrument panel .

Next step is to start fabricating the shroud over the instrument panel, which will be done in two stages..
First stage is to add some thin strip to the top of the panel, slightly protruding over the front edge, which will be painted black on the underside.
When that has set and dried, the second stage involves fitting the panel, letting it fully set, and then fabricate the full shroud, blending it into the forward part of the moulded coaming and the strip over the top of the panel, and then build the projector section of the HUD / gun sight.

The pics below show the progress to date.

F-5E Swiss build 031.JPG
F-5E Swiss build 034.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back