**** DONE: GB-45 1:48 Slovakian Bf 109G-6 - BoB/Foreign Service

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

H52 is a piano hinge for the cowl Geo.

34qlric.jpg

Eight piece tail section.

1586561316940.png

When I test fit the elevators to the stabs there was a whacking great gap at the angled outer edge. What isn't shown in the instructions clearly is that the elevators fit into slots at the back of the stabs and then slid toward the vertical stab. This is to accommodate the pin (A) fitting into the fuselage. I haven't figured out the purpose of this yet but it does prevent you from gluing the elevators to the stabs and then gluing it to the fuselage as a whole

Last edited:
Dunno about the Gustav, or any Messerschmitt but the 'at rest' position for the joystick could be forward and that would have the elevators drooped. Would it be easier to build that way?
Sure would be easier to get in the cockpit if the stick were forward.

Otherwise it's looking good.

Dunno about the Gustav, or any Messerschmitt but the 'at rest' position for the joystick could be forward and that would have the elevators drooped. Would it be easier to build that way?
Sure would be easier to get in the cockpit if the stick were forward.

Otherwise it's looking good.
Many thanks. I've got 13 books on the "G" and the state of the elevators is all over the place on parked unmanned aircraft: raised, lower and neutral. To save time I went neutral. The fit here is very good save for the vertical stabilizer; a gap on the right side to be filled.

IMG_0002.JPG

Wing/fuselage join up next

Hey, George,
Lovely work there. As for filling some of those "weird" to sand things.... I rarely ever sand anymore. Put tape close to either side of the gap (when possible), smear in some Tamiya white putty with a toothpick to minimize overflow. I then grab a Q-tip, dip it some acetone and wipe the putty away with that. After the putty is set, I wash the area with warm water and some Dawn dish soap to get any remaining acetone off the plastic. I have never had any damage on the plastic and the seam / gap is very nicely filled with no sanding required. I used this on the P-40 I am doing for this build. The landing gear "end caps" had some fit issues. After looking thing over and thinking about how to sand that compound curve against that soft Airfix plastic, I went with the putty / Q-tip / acetone thing and it worked great. No sanding needed at all.

I do like the Eduard 109s, especially the Gs. The 3 I have done have all been great kits with minimal fit issues. If I used more than a couple of drops of putty I would be surprised. I love the subject you are doing as well. I was trying to find some Italian markings for a 109 E7 and no bueno. I was thinking about an Italian plane with a 109 E7 I started while waiting for my PE for the P-40 for a possible addition to this GB, but no luck on finding anything yet.

Oh! Thanks for the tip on the wax pencil! I just ordered a box of 6 off Amazon. These will sure make getting those small things in place a whole lot easier!

Underneathy thangs sprayed with VMA 71.044 RLM02

IMG_0001.JPG

It looks quite green in the photo but is leaning more toward this chip.

1586656586232.png

If you look at the instruction sheet it shows PE attached over the kit part. For what will be seen the kit part will be more than sufficient

IMG_0007.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah, I am mixed on the PE versus kit part for the radiators. I am 50-50 on having used the PE on the Gs I have built so far. The work is simply lovely George. I sure going to enjoy you finish this one up.

Thanks all. Landing gear almost finish but looking for pics as to how the brake lines were attached and coloured.

IMG_0009.JPG

Its a good thing I chose not to include the PE grills, they and the kit parts are a tad too wide and tall. Not shown clearly in the instructions is that each front grill has a slight curved edge illustrated here on the PE parts

IMG_0010.JPG

While searching for something else I came across the better VMA match for RLM 02

Untitled.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back