**** DONE: GB-48 1/48 SBD-1 Dauntless - Carrier & Maritime Patrol A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Wayne. An hour of masking followed by black gloss coat which is now drying over night. Both sides have been done and so I couldn't flip it over for a top side pic. It's black.

21010601.jpg

I'm keeping the masking tape manufacturers in business on this one. On the underside, the Semi Matte Aluminum Alclad is done, not perfect but the decals will draw the eye away from the defects. I masked the ailerons and elevators and sprayed them with Alclad Dull Aluminum to give them a slightly lighter tone. My experience is that this paint is also quite grainy and so it was well-suited to represent fabric.

21010801.jpg

More masking was needed to complete the black walkways (decals are provided but I prefer to paint these) and the anti-glare panel on the nose. Also, the back of the prop blades had black anti-glare sections on the back.

21010802.jpg

All masks removed. The red nose cowl needs to be glossed yet so, yes, more masking for that. You can also see the lighter elevators. The rudder wasn't done as this will be completely covered in stripes.

21010803.jpg

The props turned out pretty nice. Decals still need to be added and I'll do a black wash on the hub.

21010805.jpg

21010806.jpg

What's not so nice is that removal of the canopy mask revealed that the fixed canopy broke - you can see the split plastic on the curved pane. I then remembered that I had let the model slip from my hands and it dropped heavily onto my work surface and so this must have done it.

21010804.jpg

Damn, I'll need to think about this. I might be able to cut that section from the closed canopy part but it may be too short since they overlap. I'll report back once I come up with something.

Thanks for looking.

Wow Andy looks really great !

shame about the canopy though, is it really noticeable hard to tell in the picture ?

Thanks guys. Yes, Karl, it really is. It was hard to get a picture of it because of the glare from my workbench lighting.

Here's a better picture of the broken part.

21010901.jpg

And how it would be seen with the pilot's hood slid over it:

21010902.jpg

My first easy option is already underway. I brushed some Future over the crack and let it wick in. It did disappear somewhat but I'll let it dry before seeing if option 2 is necessary.

Option 2 is to carefully cut out the broken clear pane leaving the surrounding frames. Under the other hood it may not be that obvious that there is some glass missing underneath. If that doesn't work, then option 3 is to cut out the section from the fixed canopy and use that but this is messy because the frames overlap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back