**** DONE: GB-56 1/48 P-47D-25RE - Thunderbolts and Lightning (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Time to define the where and when (well actually that should have been before I shot the top and bottom of the wing invasion strips!) The aircraft is depicted with two different sets of markings with about a month difference between then. June 1944 and July 20 1944 when the aircraft was lost. I searched the intertwined webb of deceit and found the following.....

June 1944 the invasion strips are upper and lower the wing, and the fuselage bands are also upper and lower, July
0002S8B3WIWX1AD3-C122-F4.jpg
6b89455a8970b8b6c981e4a0f5538f6f.jpg
14b30ef49f86afe707c9b6d18d8a5c61-11.jpg
212E3B4451B14FEB2EFA9B.jpg
FRE_000228-11.jpg
gabby-gabreski-11.jpg
gabby-ii-29.jpg
media-33594.jpeg
the upper fuselage and wing bands are gone.

Actually that's the same pic attached as the last one in the same post above. The apparent lack of the top portion D-Day markings has been caused by the quality of scanning and the light conditions during the process. But a close up look reveals that both the white and black strips are going from the bottom of the wing to its top through the leading edge.

media-33594a.jpg

media-33594b.jpeg

media-33594c.jpg

Hummm ... the camo looks a little bit strange. IMHO the order of applying of the top colours should be inverted. The first , background colour should be the Green then the Grey. It can be noticed in the pictures posted above. Anyway nicely done. :thumbright:

Hummm ... the camo looks a little bit strange. IMHO the order of applying of the top colours should be inverted. The first , background colour should be the Green then the Grey. It can be noticed in the pictures posted above. Anyway nicely done. :thumbright:
I believe I agree as when I look at the close ups, the grey seems to be almost molted on. I was trying to follow the decal destructions but you know how that can be.....

I believe I agree as when I look at the close ups, the grey seems to be almost molted on. I was trying to follow the decal destructions but you know how that can be.....

Yep... you are right saying the grey is almost molted on. The fading was caused by a quite hasty applying of a too thinned paint, IMHO. Here a couple of scans of the same pic. The kind of smudges can be noticed ..

gabby-p-47D.jpg

gabby-p-47D_.jpg

gabby-p-47D_a.jpg

the source: the net.

I think the colour change round is going to give you and amazing finish, very much like the real thing. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back