Getting close to the finish, with just a few small jobs to do.
Some of the detail painting involved "abrading" the code letters. The Kagero profile shows the "Z" on the port side is abraded along the top edge, this being supported by the photos of the real aircraft. It's possible that this happened when / if the upper surface AEAF stripes were removed, although there is no visible evidence of remaining traces of these. I have seen photos of a rather nice model of this subject, displaying neatly done "ghost" outlines of the upper surface stripes, but as I can't see any outlines in the photos, I decided not to replicate these.
A new armoured glass screen has been made and fitted., as the modified kit screen looked too small. I didn't have any clear sheet thick enough to make this, so the screen was cut from a 1/24th scale car windscreen found in the spares box. It took three attempts to make this, as the rather brittle plastic kept cracking, and the final attempt still has a small crack on the top, right corner, as viewed from the front, but this isn't really visible under the canopy, so I'll live with it.
A wedge-shaped rear view mirror has been made and fitted, using the tip of a 1/48th scale HVAR, filed flat on one half of its diameter, then re-shaped slightly and cut to size, before attaching to the top of the windscreen using PVA, and then painting once fully set.
Test-fitting of the canopy showed a small gap at the front of the "V" shaped windscreen, so some work with a file allowed a slightly better fit, although there was still a small(er) gap. The canopy was attached using PVA, and then a bead of PVA was laid into the gap, sealing this and blending-in the windscreen to the fuselage. Once this has fully set the area will be re-touched as required, and the canopy cleaned.
I'm hoping to getb the undercart fitted tomorrow, along with the pylon sway braces, then there's just a couple of small details to add, before fitting the prop and getting the model finished.
Pics below show today's progress.
Nearly at the end of my plodding sessions, with the canopy windscreen now blended in and re-touched, the pylon sway braces and belly rack fitted, the landing lamp glazed, along with the I.D. lamps, which have been coloured using Tamiya clear colours, and the home made prop finished. Some light panel line work and weathering has also been completed.
I'll post pics of these areas shortly, once the camera batteries have re-charged.
I'm now ready to fiddle with the landing gear fitting, which is proving slightly awkward, as the pegs on the main gear legs don't seem to want to fully locate into the holes in the wings. Rather strange, as they were a good fit when test fitted before commencing the build, but hopefully I'll get it sorted, although it may take some time, allowing one leg to locate, partly set, and then set the correct angles, before tackling the other leg.
Once that's done, all that remains is to fit the gear doors and jacks, along with the tail wheel assembly, and make and fit the I.F.F. dipole under the port wing, and the post and bead sight on the cowling, fit the prop and it should be done.
There's going to be a couple or three interruptions during the course of the day, waiting for a delivery, and some domestic stuff, but I hope to get all this done by tonight.
Back later .....................................
Photos below as promised.
I'm hoping to get the remainder done this evening, including one item I nearly forgot. The pitot tube provided in the kit is not too bad at all, but, being plastic, it's wide open to damage or breakage. Therefore, I'm going to see if I can use the tip of the pitot in combination with some alloy tube, if the tube gauge is suitable.
Hopefully I'll have more to show tonight.
Thanks very much chaps, it's very much appreciated.
It's nearly done, but after a few hours of fiddling, my hands and wrists are now aching a lot, so I'll continue with the final bits tomorrow, rather than make a [email protected] up now.
However, the gear legs are now attached and the angles set, although the wheels are yet to be aligned on the "flats" and cemented. This will be done when I'm able to "sit" the model on a flat, even surface.
The wheel bay doors are also attached, a job which was extremely fiddly and took more than 90 minutes !
This was partly due to the lack of decent locating points, with just two small tabs, flush fitting, representing the hinges, but mainly due to my stiff hands and rigid fingers getting in the way.
The retraction jacks have yet to be fitted to the doors, and some re-touching done, and again, this will be sorted tomorrow.
I can't get photos yet, as the doors are still being supported until they're fully set, with the model upside down, but hopefully I'll have pics of the final stages, and the finished model, some time late tomorrow.
Thanks once again for your continued interest and kind comments and likes.