**** DONE: GB-56 1/72 XP-72 - Thunderbolts and Lightnings (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Learned something new today, tempura paints for weathering!! Probably seen it mentioned before but didn't click until now. One of my main aversions to weathering has always been the 'aggressive' natures of the typical mediums used. Not so with this? And I suppose once the 'top coat' is applied it is permanent? Thanks...

Learned something new today, tempura paints for weathering!! Probably seen it mentioned before but didn't click until now. One of my main aversions to weathering has always been the 'aggressive' natures of the typical mediums used. Not so with this? And I suppose once the 'top coat' is applied it is permanent? Thanks..
I didn't see it anywhere, I just found it through experimenting. I started using an enamel wash over the Future cote, then used watercolors for a while but had trouble getting it to flow into the panel lines and stay there after the wipe. Tempura stayed in the panel lines and there is no rush to wipe it off. I've found that small prices of slightly damp paper towel works best for the wiping and do it in two stages, first to take off the bulk of the tempura and the second to clean the streaks off the surface. If you try it all at once it will pull the color out of the panel lines.
And of course it's permanent after a cote of dull or gloss coat.

Thanks for that Glenn, I had the same thoughts as Ralph and started looking for it in our area. Its a good price but not in any of the art shops in our city, so I'll have to do an on-line shop which also means postage. :D

I didn't see it anywhere, I just found it through experimenting. I started using an enamel wash over the Future cote, then used watercolors for a while but had trouble getting it to flow into the panel lines and stay there after the wipe. Tempura stayed in the panel lines and there is no rush to wipe it off. I've found that small prices of slightly damp paper towel works best for the wiping and do it in two stages, first to take off the bulk of the tempura and the second to clean the streaks off the surface. If you try it all at once it will pull the color out of the panel lines.
And of course it's permanent after a cote of dull or gloss coat.
Glenn - will be educating myself on this. I do find tempera paints and 'poster paint' at Hobby Lobby (here in the US/Texas). Googling indicates that tempera is an egg yolk binder based paint while Poster Paint is 'other'. Poster Paint is a bit cheaper and it indicates it works the same, water based. For me worth a try. Probably get one set of each though? Although I will probably wind up donating some of the colors to the grand and great-grands. Not sure what I would use turquoise on? Excited to try this. May just change my outlook on weathering??

Vic - Have you trued finding 'poster paint' as opposed to tempera?

tempera-poster.JPG

tempera 2.JPG

Glenn - will be educating myself on this. I do find tempera paints and 'poster paint' at Hobby Lobby (here in the US/Texas). Googling indicates that tempera is an egg yolk binder based paint while Poster Paint is 'other'. Poster Paint is a bit cheaper and it indicates it works the same, water based. For me worth a try. Probably get one set of each though? Although I will probably wind up donating some of the colors to the grand and great-grands. Not sure what I would use turquoise on? Excited to try this. May just change my outlook on weathering??
I have 3 colors of Tempura, black, white, and brown, all in 16 oz squeeze bottles which should last a life-time for $4-$5 a bottle at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. I mostly use the black, and use the white mixed with white to make gray for black or dark blue surfaces. I just bought the brown and thought I'd mix it with black for an OD surface.

20230304_223805.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back