**** DONE: GB-58 1/48 Kawasaki Ki.45 Hei - Night Fighters all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Username: fubar57
First name: George
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Hasegawa
Model: Kawasaki Ki45Kai Hei/Tei Toryu (Nick) "Mainland Defence" Kit #09909
Scale: 1:48
Add-on: Dead Design Models canopy masks

My entry into this GB is the Toryu, Dragonslayer. Instructions say, "5th Fighter Regiment, Maj. Yoshiaki Yamashita, Kiyosu Air Base, June 1945. According to the never wrong Wiki, this is the "Hei" version or Mark C, used against naval objectives, one 37 mm (1.46 in) Ho-203 automatic cannon in the nose, one 7.92 mm (.312 in) machine gun in the back position. It looks like the rear gunners glass area was faired over on this aircraft. Not sure when or where I got the photo from as an image search shows no matches.

Kawasaki Ki-45 toryu 5sentai, Kiyoshu airbase june 1945_a.jpg

Kawasaki Ki-45 toryu 5sentai, Kiyoshu airbase june 1945.jpg

and an another one of the 5th Sentai in 1945
Kawasaki Ki-45 toryu 5sentai, Kiyoshu airbase june 1945_.jpg

the source: the net.

Very nice looking kit. Looks like someone was paying attention to modelers needs with the spru connections, at least it appears that way in the photos?

Camo? The ones illustrated in #19 or #21. If 19 I'll buy some extra beer and popcorn for watching that.

View attachment 720143

View attachment 720144

and an another one of the 5th Sentai in 1945
View attachment 720145
IMHO the top 2 photos show an unarmed Tai-Atari (as mentioned earlier).
The bottom one is a Ki.45 KAI TEI with oblique cannons, nose cannon and rear machine gun. This is the variant I mentioned as a standard night fighter. There are a few photos of the same type from this unit (5th Sentai).
BTW in FAOTW on page 91, top there is a drawing of an a/c with a very short radio mast and covered rear gunner's station. I can recognize it's written Ki.45 KAI, without further designation. The title on the top says (as per DeepL translation from picture):
Ki-45 Kai, special attack aircraft
0RI3XFS.jpg

Good luck with your model!

Last edited:
Great choice!! I love Japanese planes in general. I can't wait to see the finished product !!

Sprayed all the pertinent items marked "A"....I hope. The Tamiya Khaki Drab was too dark and green to match the photo I posted and the Khaki was too yellow. I mixed them 50-50 and got almost bang on. The flash dulled up the colour but in real life, I'm happy with it. You can just make out the photo I mixed the paint to

IMG_2665.JPG

Humm .. the kit instruction says the cockpit colour should be the mix of Mr. Color 55 Khaki and Mr. Color 41 Red Brown. The ratio is suggested being 9/1. The colour seems to be the 7 Ohryoku nana go shoku used for cockpits from the mid of 1943.. So the mix should have been a kind of a brownish green close to the olive brown/khaki drab. That would corresponde to the colour chip you posted earlier. Before the no. 7was introduced the no.3 Hairanshoku Grey-Indigo ( Ash-Indigo colour) colourwas used.

55+41 9-1.jpg

7.jpg

The useful links ... More about JAAF # 7 Ohryoku nana go shoku 黄緑七号色 - yellow green no.7 colour

As I said, the flash washed out the colour a lot. With Future on, my colour is close to the MRP chip, actually in between both chips

Grasped. In the pic it really looks different. The colour should be FS 33070 approximately. The Vallejo Model Air 286 IJA Olive Green, Life Color UA219 Olive Drab, Tamiya Color Acrylic Paint 81362 XF-62 Olive Drab.

That's true. I have forgotten about that ~ FS 34151 colour. But I'm not sure if it was used by the Kawasaki factory. But I have to admit the sample posted by Geo is closer to the no.29 than to the no. 7.

1683608410635-png.png

FS 34151.jpg

That's true. I have forgotten about that ~ FS 34151 colour. But I'm not sure if it was used by the Kawasaki factory. But I have to admit the sample posted by Geo is closer to the no.29 than to the no. 7.
Wojtek, I was comparing the interior colours with the production time of Ki.45 Kai Hei (c): the latter was placed in production in March 1944 and the first completed a/c came out in the following month (April 1944). Checking the article I mentioned about the colours of Japanese Army Interiors (all types), the timing was:
1. Blue-grey # 3 until mid 1943
2. Light olive yellow-green # 29 between mid 1943 and 14.June 1944
3. Dark olive green # 7 from 14.June 1944
It is not impossible to have a Kai Hei with the lighter green, but IMHO all Kai Tei should have dark green interiors (I did my research mostly focusing on the latter variant).
The preserved Ki.45 in NASM is labeled as Kai Hei but is in fact Kai Tei. The interior is dark olive green.
Cheers!

As far as I understand and as Terry says, the medium-late models were painted as n3, according to AK in their Real Color line it is the IJN M3, for gunze mr color it is the C384
gunze-c384-mr-color-10-ml-cockpit-color-kawanishi.jpg
gunze-c384-mr-color-10-ml-cockpit-color-kawanishi.1.jpg

As far as I understand and as Terry says, the medium-late models were painted as n3, according to AK in their Real Color line it is the IJN M3, for gunze mr color it is the C384
Sergio, the medium-late interiors were painted (in theory) in #29 (you wrote n3 - maybe it's a typo, maybe it's No.3?)
Kawanishi Green by Mr. Hobby you show above is very near to #29. Not so vibrant maybe.
AK has 2 M3-colours: AK 2067(M) is Mitsubishi green and AK 2068(N) is Nakajima Green. The first one is pretty much in the variable range of #29 as per these samples. The second one is more near to #7 (the darker interior colour) or somewhere in the middle.
It happened so that a week ago I visited my local hobby store an they had a big sale of older AK paints - $2 per bottle. I have never used these paints before but the price was "hot" and this forced me to buy several rare (for my understanding) paints/colours. Among them were the above discussed greens + the darker #7. Was it some kind of coincidence? Maybe....
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back