**** DONE: GB-62 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXC "Beer Delivery" - Spitfires

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Please think it over. The problem with the ICM Spit is that the engine can be displayed without the engine cowling only. As memo serves the engine is too long and doesn't fit the fuselage or the fuselage is too narrow to accomodate the power unit and its mount. . Well ... if you want to to show the power plant you need to omit the engine cowling.

Here the VZ-Z of the 412 Squadron RCAF without the beer barrels in France , June 1944.

Spitfires_412 sqdn_June 1944.jpg

the pic source: RCAF Squadrons Overseas during the Second World War

What a fun read!!! Many thanks for this. Also, within the article, was a mention of Hursley Park in Winchester. I spent many a day working within that building complex. A marvel in itself. That and downing many a 'Bitter' in the oldest pub in England also located in Hursley.
Some beer reading for you Ralph. Starts on Page 2

Some progress. Primer coat on. Yellow wing markings applied, ready to be masked off. The leading and trailing wing fits did better than expected, minimal filler required to close up some small gaps. The prop plate was just jammed into the front cowling. No way it was going to fit properly. With the prop assembly on it disappears anyway. Next, after masking the yellow, I will be applying the white color coats, wings and fuselage.

beer wagon yellow on.jpg

beer wagon trailing edge.jpg
Beer Wagon leading edge.jpg

What you are looking at are the remnants of a failed attempt to install the engine into the fuselage. Up until14:00 CDT today this was a lovely-detailed engine. After yesterday's 4 hours, and today's 4 hours, trying to get it to fit within the fuselage, I finally gave up; breaking it down into its needed components; exhaust, bulkhead, spinner plate and shaft. No amount of twisting, shaving or cussing would allow the fuselage to close in all areas. Did not try beer though, but probably would have wound up with same outcome but happier with it! Just frustrated at the hours spent on creating an engine that would not fit.

I believe that it was ultimately possible to get these parts to mate, however not sure of the time it would require? It is critical that the engine aligns with the bulkhead correctly and the support framing be assembled to maintain this. Given the mold quality of many of the parts, hours per part would be required to get them to align correctly with each other. The lack of precise, or in some cases any, locating detail just adds more stress to the assembly. I'm just thankful that Tamiya super thin, when applied to a seam, acts as a solvent, allowing parts to be removed.

View attachment 784180
OMG, that is the stage I am at with mine, have taken some pics and will upload tomorrow.

Stripes are on, as well as the other colors. Fairly happy with the way this is turning out, finish wise. A bit of touching up where some tape loosened and allowed a bit of spray to enter, but nothing major.

Opinions: The instructions illustrate the antenna mast plate being camo colors. I believe it should be the red(ish) composite color?

Also, it was pointed out that the kit S/N is incorrect; wrong numbers. My decal stash is limited and I don't have a good selection to correct. I'm leaning towards claiming that
when the invasion stripes were painted on the S/N was painted over; so none showing will be acceptable?

Gun port 'stubs' should be painted camo colors and not have the invasion stripe colors? Goes for the two barrels (not attached yet) as well?

Mk.I Invasion Port.jpg

Mk.I Invasion starboard.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back