Dornier Do-26

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

johnbr

2nd Lieutenant
Jun 23, 2006
London Ontario Canada
dORNIER DO-26 1.png
Dornier Do-26 2.png
Dornier do-26=.jpg
Do color.png
Do26_2f-s.jpg
Dornier DO-26-.jpg

Last edited:
1938 - Do26 - Transocean Flying Boat
The Do 26 – a cantilever all-metal high-wing monoplane – had been developed for direct North and South Atlantic mail flights by Deutsche Lufthansa. Since the flying boat was not designed for catapult launches and landing in high seas other than in emergencies, the characteristic sponsons of the Dornier flying boats had been replaced by floats under the wings which could be retracted aerodynamic layout increased the speed and range of the aircraft. The wing consisted of a rectangular center section with the pronounced V-shape carrying two nacelles for the four engines mounted in tandem, as well as two trapezoid outer wing sections.
All sections were covered with Dural sheets. The ailerons and flaps were located behind the trailing edge. The powerplant consisted of 600 HP Junkers 205 E engines with reduction gears, operating with crude oil. The front propeller were driven directly while the rear propellers were driven via an extension shaft. The rear engine including their extension shafts, rotated upward through 10° in order to protect the propellers against splash water. The two-step hull with several bulkheads was subdivided in a nose station for maritime equipment, a mail and cargo hold, the flight deck, a communications and navigation station, a fuel hold, a second mail hold, a crew room, a galley and a lavatory.
First flight on 21 May 1938.
Specification

CREW 4
ENGINE 4 x Jumo 205C, 440kW
WEIGHTS
Take-off weight 20000 kg 44093 lb
Empty weight 10200 kg 22487 lb
DIMENSIONS
Wingspan 30.0 m 98 ft 5 in
Length 24.5 m 80 ft 5 in
Height 6.9 m 23 ft 8 in
Wing area 120.0 m2 1291.67 sq ft
PERFORMANCE
Max. speed 335 km/h 208 mph
Cruise speed 310 km/h 193 mph
Ceiling 4600 m 15100 ft
Range w/max.fuel 9000 km 5592 miles

Very interesting subject and documents. Bravo !

I agree on the LeO H-470. But the one in the background isn't the CAMS-37 IMHO. The flying boat had the cockpit canopy with its back fairing together with round windows there, attached at the fuselage top. This gave the plane a kind of "hump" at the front area. The plane In the pic has the cockpit canopy being a part of the fuselage line without the round windows. . What is more I notice a strut attached to the fuselage top between the cockpit and the wing. The CAMS-37 didn't have any there.

do.jpg

I have the Mach 2 kit and just received the A-Model kit. Perhaps I should do a comparison thread, though I think everyone knows the outcome...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back