Douglas SBD Dauntless upgrade/replacement

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And the Mk 2 had a speed under 230 mph. Even at 251, it wan't dropping the torpedo at that speed. The torpedo issue has NOTHING to do with the aircraft.

Performance
Maximum speed: 228 mph (198 kn, 367 km/h) at 1,750 ft (533 m)

The Mk 1 had a 1300hp Merlin 30 engine, and the Mk II had a 1640 hp Merlin 32. I really question the wikipedia stats for the Mk2, especially the speed, as they aren't referenced to flight tests, and I wonder if these speeds are with the engine at the 5min combat rating?

The Skyraider didn't even fly till March 1945. It wasn't really an option to replace the SBD. The only other naval, carrier rated, dive bomber available in the needed time frame was the Barracuda II.
Read the history of the Skyraider. It was intened to replace the SBD once it was decided to go with a single seat aircraft. The initial intended replacement was the XSB2D-1 Destroyer, see post 7. The XBT2D-1 even carried the name "Dauntless II."

The piston-engined Skyraider was designed during World War II to meet US Naval requirements for a carrier-based, single-seat, long-range, high performance dive/torpedo bomber, to follow-on from earlier types such as the Helldiver and Avenger. Designed by Ed Heinemann of the Douglas Aircraft Company, prototypes were ordered on 6 July 1944 as the XBT2D-1. The XBT2D-1 made its first flight on 18 March 1945 and in April 1945, the USN began evaluation of the aircraft at the Naval Air Test Center (NATC).[3]

Douglas XBT2D-1 Dauntless II

The Barracuda is easily among the top 5 ugliest aircraft ever produced. Wives of Barracude pilots divorced them when they found out. The Barracuda could drive enemy fighters away by just showing itself in the sky. The fighters would run so their pilots didn't have to look at Barracudas.

I know it was a decent performer but, really, it looked slightly worse than the north end of a southboud mule. Please, no Barracudas ... it would have been a big mistake, aesthetically anyway. The people assigned to fly them would have to have strong stomachs.

I like the Beechcraft A-38 Grizzly (see below), but it wasn't a carrier aircraft. Aside fromm that, it could have done the job. Of course, that's a big aside considering the Dauntless was a Navy carrier aircraft ... OK, I go with the Skyraider, like FlyboyJ.

View attachment 186973

The Barracuda is easily among the top 5 ugliest aircraft ever produced...

What? Look at these elegant lines:

barra.jpg

The Barracuda was the very epitome of grace and elegance...!

Or How about the Fairy Firefly. The USN is never going to have a liquid cooled engine so license build the airframe and bolt an R2800 on in place of the Griyphon. The Japanese could do it so the US should have no problem with the job. I think tomopauk did one of his re engine jobs on the Firefly.

As the war began to wind down, the USN realised that the Corsair was almost as accurate a dive bomber as the SBD and a much better (obviously) multi role AC than the Helldiver. The Corsair went on to be the US air to ground airplane, replaced the F8F on all carriers and carried the lion's share of the load in Korea until the AD replaced it. The USN had the replacement for the SBD on hand in 1943-44 but did not realise it.

As soon as feasible, perhaps Douglas could have started developing a R-2600, or even better, R-2800 powered version of the SBD.

As the war began to wind down, the USN realised that the Corsair was almost as accurate a dive bomber as the SBD and a much better (obviously) multi role AC than the Helldiver. The Corsair went on to be the US air to ground airplane, replaced the F8F on all carriers and carried the lion's share of the load in Korea until the AD replaced it. The USN had the replacement for the SBD on hand in 1943-44 but did not realise it.
Very True and many times during Korea the Corsair flew along side the Skyraider and even made up "composite" squadrons.
As soon as feasible, perhaps Douglas could have started developing a R-2600, or even better, R-2800 powered version of the SBD.
I don't think that was possible as the airframe was "stretched" as far as it can go. It was a dated design and that's why Douglas began development of the XSB2D-1 Destroyer. Compare the two, I think they were on the right track and not only would have developed an aircraft that could dive bomb, but could also be used as a torpedo bomber.

800px-Douglas_BTD-1_at_Patuxent_River.jpg

SBD-5_Royal_Navy_JS997.jpg

Last edited:
I am going with FlyboyJ on this. Some planes can be re-engined fairly easy and some cannot. Adding 500lbs of engine and a bigger prop to the SBD would have taken quite a of work plus the added fuel tanks to feed the bigger engine.
Perhaps it could have been fitted with uprated versions of the cyclone but they depended on both new manufacturing techniques and higher rated fuel to get their 1350-1425hp ratings and would not be available until late in the war.

Why reengine the Dauntless( which was probably not possible) when the Corsair was ready. You could send a strike of Corsairs loaded with 1000 pound bombs and as soon as they dropped the bombs, presto, you had an air superiority fighter.

Why reengine the Dauntless( which was probably not possible) when the Corsair was ready. You could send a strike of Corsairs loaded with 1000 pound bombs and as soon as they dropped the bombs, presto, you had an air superiority fighter.

When did the USN approve the Corsair for carrier operations?

Navy F4U2s, night fighters, began operations off the Enterprise on January 9, 1944.
VMF111, on March 18, 1944, operate Corsairs as dive bombers against Makin Island. It is found that the Corsair can dive safely at 85 degrees, more steeply than the SBD.
The Navy recommends that all carrier fighter squadrons began operating with Corsairs as soon as possible on May 16,1944.

When ready to dive bomb, the F4U-1 Corsair pilot reached over and pulled the dive bomb control and the main gear extended but not the tail wheel. This latter fact fascinates me, with lots of planes flying around with fixed tail wheels, why the special control? The limiting speed for this dive condition was 403 mph per Brown.

When ready to dive bomb, the F4U-1 Corsair pilot reached over and pulled the dive bomb control and the main gear extended but not the tail wheel. This latter fact fascinates me, with lots of planes flying around with fixed tail wheels, why the special control? The limiting speed for this dive condition was 403 mph per Brown.
I do know that Corsairs did drop their gear for divebombing strikes but never heard of the tail wheel operating on a different hydraulic circuit.

Update! Found this from another site in reference to FAA Corsairs

Air Ministry Pilot's notes for the Corsair I-IV for RAF and Royal Navy pilots.

Para 7

(i) On early aircraft the undercarriage control is a spring-loaded knob situated below the left-hand side of the instrument panel. To raise the undercarriage, pull out the knob, release the safety catch, and move to UP. To lower the u/c, pull out the knob, and move to DOWN when the safety catch will be automatically engaged. After setting the control to UP or DOWN ensure that the pin on the knob engages with the hole in the quadrant. The main wheels are used as dive brakes and may be lowered or raise independantly of the tailwheel by the control on the left of the u/c indicator.

Last edited:
"... I do know that Corsairs did drop their gear for divebombing strikes ...."

I didn't know that until now ...:) .. nothing new under the sun.

Attachments

• saab_b17.jpg
    saab_b17.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 101
@FLYBOYJ ....

Do you know if - when dropping LG for bombing - the folding doors closed over the wheel openings - just leaving the semi-circular doors covering the leading edge of the oleos ...? :)

MM

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back