eBay: Avro Lancaster

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Avro Lancaster PA474 fitted with vertical third wing, September 1962

avro Lancaster_15_Avro Lancaster PA474 fitted with vertical third wing, September 1962.jpg

That's the Lancaster currently flying with the BBMF, when it was involved in gust research at Cranfield in the 1950's.
I'm not certain, but I think the wing mounted on the fuselage is that of a Folland Gnat (or Midge). There was a large, inverted 'V' bracing frame inside the fuselage, which was eventually removed when the Lanc was under further restoration to WW2 'status', and the mid-upper turret was fitted.
The duties of PA464 were taken over by a Lincoln and, being airworthy, having served at Cranfield and been kept in good condition, was probably the reason it was saved from the scrap man's torch, to become the only airworthy Lanc in the World, until the CWH Lanc joined the ranks.
It's also the only Lanc ever to be re-sparred, which was done a few years ago, during one of the regular 'deep' services.
I'm not sure of its current engine fit, but back in the early 1980's, it had a mix of Rolls Royce and Packard 'Merlins', prompting the BBMF to class it as a Lancaster B.Mk 1.5 !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back