Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For the Navy Bell XFL-1.

1622743409141.png

It looks like a test installation of some sort. The ironmongery on the tail looks like an anti-spin parachute. I'm guessing the boxes on the fin, rudder and tailplane are sensors of some kind...but not sure what.

Alas, I don't read cyrillic so I'm at a loss to provide anything more positive.

Could be that they were trying to develop a device that would automatically recover the airplane if it spun - or tumbled. The A-7D had something called "Post Stall Gyration" that was not a spin and you would not recover if you applied normal spin recovery techniques. It was proposed to install a sensor that would activate a flap if that condition existed so to allow recovery.

Last edited:
The wooden square on the rudder seems to be a kind of a protection against self opening of the round cover there. The second one of the rectangle shape on the fin seems to be either a base for attaching of a sensor or other device like the box with the actuator fixed to to the elevator. Perhaps it was an elevator angle indicator. So it could be a similar to the elevator device but for the rudder.

P-39Q-10.jpg

It is very likely. These seen three pieces like nozzles could be the air pressure sensors as well as blowing outlets with a kind of smoke to see the airflow around the tail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back