Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

1944 WWII USAAF 863rdEAB Saidor AF NG P-39 airplane CALAMITY ANN New Guinea Photo control tower,

1688466272217.png

1688466361963.png

1688466440553.png

1. 1944 WWII USAAF 863rdEAB Saidor AF NG P-39 airplane CALAMITY ANN 2nd Photo | eBay
  2. 1944 WWII USAAF 863rd EAB Saidor Field NG Photo Hardstand airplanes, fuel truck | eBay
  3. 1944 WWII USAAF 863rd EAB Saidor Air Fields New Guinea Photo control tower, jeep | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Bell P-39 - Experimental Supercharger View attachment 551855

Does ANYone have even an educated guess as to "what's under the 'cover'/'shell' on this P-39?

I see the P-63 and other P-39s in the background ... could this be an experimental smoke-generator (since its outlet is behind the exhaust stacks, and while flying, the exhaust "jets" in front of that "outlet" would help disperse the smoke once the pilot flipped a switch to release the smoke chemical)??? ...just a-wild a$$ed guess.

It very well could be a smoke generator, I do not have a better idea as to what it actually is. But Judging by the early national markings on the A/C in the picture. I don't think the plane with the 4 bladed prop is a P-63, I think it is a P-39 with a 4 bladed prop. Probably an experimental installation like what ever is mounted above the engine of the P-39 in question.

I hope some one else has a better answer!

Does ANYone have even an educated guess as to "what's under the 'cover'/'shell' on this P-39?

I see the P-63 and other P-39s in the background ... could this be an experimental smoke-generator (since its outlet is behind the exhaust stacks, and while flying, the exhaust "jets" in front of that "outlet" would help disperse the smoke once the pilot flipped a switch to release the smoke chemical)??? ...just a-wild a$$ed guess.
It was part of a mockup for a turbo charger installation to gather drag data.
Since they didn't install a real turbocharger there was no reason to actually hook up the exhaust pipes.
They figured about a 30-40mph speed loss at altitudes where the Turbo was not effective (low altitudes)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back