Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

It most certainly is, as recorded in the caption directly above yours...

Great picture, nice to see a British Fort not in Coastal Command white. Note the barely visible "P-in-a-circle" denoting a prototype, as FK187 was the first Fortress II in RAF service...

Middle East

One of four RAF Boeing Fortress Is sent to Shallufa, Egypt. As with in Britain, the RAF experience with the type at this early stage of its career was not a happy one, the aircraft being plagued with unserviceability. This is possibly AN532, which was flown to India in July 1942 and was transferred to the USAAF in December that year and was allocated the USAAF serial 40-2079.

Regardless of what the Brits thought of the early Fort, it's a handsome beast.

AN531 was the only Fortress I evaluated by the A&AEE at Boscombe, where this photo is likely to have been taken. It wears the delivery colours of US applied Olive Drab upper and Light Grey lower surfaces, before receiving a British applied scheme of Dark Green/Dark Earth disruptive camo on top and PR Blue under surfaces. AN521 carried out a total of 20 sorties, or just over 180 flying hours in RAF service, first with 90 Sqn Bomber Command and then with 220 and 206 Sqn Coastal Command in Northern Ireland.

Here are a few more for you...EW aircraft of 214 Sqn, 100 Gp, which is an entire topic of interest to me:

Oh very nice! Thanks, Mark, great photos and yes, very much a subject of interest. Do you happen to have any of Liberator IIs that were used by the special ops units? Were there any with the EW units?

Oh very nice! Thanks, Mark, great photos and yes, very much a subject of interest. Do you happen to have any of Liberator IIs that were used by the special ops units? Were there any with the EW units?

Yes, 223 Sqn flew Liberators on EW missions. I don't have any really good pics although there is a book on the subject:

I can also highly recommend Martin Streetly's "Aircraft of 100 Group: a Historical Guide for the Modeller" which provides lots of details on the EW fit of the Mosquitos, Fortresses and Liberators used by 100 Gp. Unfortunately, it's a pretty rare volume so used copies can get spendy.

In the book "The Price of Vigilance" (Story of US ELINT ops and aircraft shot down) it mentioned a B-24 operated in the PTO in one of the first ELINT roles, picking up Japanese radio communications and having Japanese linguists on board.

Users who are viewing this thread