Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The 13 YB-17s were individually/hand made so many variations and equipment changes. Guessing two differing mounts trialed, possible shown on two different aircraft. In my attempts to pin down Bell XFM-1/YFM-1 photos and data for model building, I found that the 13 service trial aircraft varied upon completion as well as continuous modifications during their life. I have yet to find enough photos of one serial number at the same time to allow an accurate build. In fact, that's what led me to this forum in search of photos. From the photos I have seen of the YB-17s/Y1B-17s and later B-17Bs they can be just as ambiguous.
Very interested in your Airacuda research, have you posted all in a thread?

The 13 YB-17s were individually/hand made so many variations and equipment changes. Guessing two differing mounts trialed, possible shown on two different aircraft. In my attempts to pin down Bell XFM-1/YFM-1 photos and data for model building, I found that the 13 service trial aircraft varied upon completion as well as continuous modifications during their life. I have yet to find enough photos of one serial number at the same time to allow an accurate build. In fact, that's what led me to this forum in search of photos. From the photos I have seen of the YB-17s/Y1B-17s and later B-17Bs they can be just as ambiguous.
As it is a plane in the very early days of conflict the volts of congress may have some worth while.

Most of the better shots of the Airacuda I found here but some were from the internet. I have them all together so I can't tell which are from here. I suspect if I could go to the Bell 's museum I could find many good ones since it was Bell's first, his baby. The first baby gets many pictures. Of the 3views I have downloaded, no two are alike even in wing shape.

As for the early B-17 details, once I discovered years ago the nose glazing was ring mounted giving two positions for the gun (top or bottom) so the bombardier could use the gun when he was finished with the bombsight it reduced the number of versions for me.

Worry Wart

1628415324965.png

1628415139621.png

B-17 of the 306th BG, 369th BS based at Thurleigh. crashed just south of Stewkley, Buckinghamshire, England. Yes, that is one of the recovery crew stood in the foreground, I think it's a right off!
Just done some digging,(no, not that sort) It crashed on 23.9.43, returning from Nantes, France with battle damage being the cause.This was only 41 days after being delivered to Thurleigh.Tail No:- 42-3449, Bomb Squadron code WW-X.All crew survived,2 injured but returned to duty.

Attachments

• 906.jpg
    906.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 59
  • 905.jpg
    905.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 62
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Last edited:
B-17F-20-DL 42-3073
Delivered Cheyenne 4/2/43; Assigned 410BS/94BG Bangor 13/4/43; delivered UK, transferred 401BS/91BG [LL-A] Bassingbourn 22/4/43; Missing in Action 23m Leipzig 21/2/44 with Bill Gibbons, Co-pilot: Clyde McCallum, Navigator: Don Shea, Bombardier: Wilf Conlon, Flight engineer/top turret gunner: Bill Doupance, Radio Operator: Jack Bowen, Ball turret gunner: Julius Edwards, Waist gunner: Clarry Bateman,Tail gunner: Paul Goecke (10 Prisoner of War); separate enemy aircraft attacks KO'd #3 & #4 plus wings on fire, crash landed target area, near Herford, Ger. Missing Air Crew Report 2463.

42-3073 | American Air Museum in Britain

1630233238838.png

ORIGINAL WW2 PHOTO..NOSE ART ..' Temptation ' B-17 Flying Fortress, CO-PILOT | eBay
ORIGINAL WW2 PHOTO..NOSE ART ..' Temptation ' B-17 Flying Fortress, KILLS | eBay

B-17F-BO 42-30188 Cat's Sass' Temptation

1630923822483.png

Gene Aldridge co-pilot
1630923638151.png

1630923417436.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back