Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Langley Field, Virginia. YB-17 bombardment squadron. In the transparent nose of a mighty YB-17 bomber, a sergeant of a bombardment squadron stationed at Langley Field, Virginia handles the machine gun

1627901566181.png

Solons inspect new Army Bomber. Washington, D.C. March 10. Members of the House Military Affairs Committee with U.S. Chief of staff General Mailin Craig inspecting the new 4-Engine Boeing Bomber which arrived at Bolling Field today. This ship is first of 13 which will be delivered to the Army Air Corps in the newer future. In the photograph, left to right, can't be seen: Rep. Andrew Edmiston, West Virginia; Rep. Charles I. Faddis, Pa.; Capt. C.E. O'Connor, pilot of the ship; Rep. Andrew J. May, Kentucky; Maj. Gen. Malin H. Craig

1627987093372.png

The 13 YB-17s were individually/hand made so many variations and equipment changes. Guessing two differing mounts trialed, possible shown on two different aircraft. In my attempts to pin down Bell XFM-1/YFM-1 photos and data for model building, I found that the 13 service trial aircraft varied upon completion as well as continuous modifications during their life. I have yet to find enough photos of one serial number at the same time to allow an accurate build. In fact, that's what led me to this forum in search of photos. From the photos I have seen of the YB-17s/Y1B-17s and later B-17Bs they can be just as ambiguous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back