eBay: Japanese airplanes and other hardware.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nakajima Ki-27

1691490439636.jpeg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks Cammerjeff,

The photos refreshed my memory. I would love to dive the Fujikawa Maru wreck just to see the remains of the claude in situ. Here are the full set from Pacificwrecks.com

Moky
You are welcome, I dove the area back in the late 1970's when I was in the Navy, it was not as well known at that time. I did not dive on the Fujikawa Maru unfortunately. I was more interested in the warships at the time, I had no Idea I could have seen the fighter planes in the hold.
Cheers

Thanks for posting those profiles, Shinpachi!

I was going by memory and that photo appeared to be a Heinkel.
However, after comparing the photo to the profiles, it's clearly an E1Y.

And the similarities between the two types are uncanny.
My pleasure, Dave!
I always respect your wide knowledge :thumbleft:

That is quite a historic set of photos of the crew of I-29 on their arrival at Lorient, France and stay there from 11 March-15 April 1944. The Commander and his crew were fetetd by Kriegsmarine officers including Admiral Karl Dönitz and Cdr Kinashi was presented with the Iron Cross 2nd class by Adolf Hitler himself. Returning home, on July 26th 1944, in the Luzon Straight, the Philippines, I-29 while travelling on the surface was sunk by 3 torpedoes from USS Sawfish (SS-276). All the crew bar one were lost along with the Junkers Jumo 004 and BMW 003 turbojets that powered the Me 262 and the Walter HWK 109-509 rocket engine of the Me 163 which delayed Japanese development of these advanced engines. However, blueprints of these engines were flown back to Japan and the Japanese soon had their version of the German jet and rocket engines under development. The Japanese version of the Jumo turbojet, the Ne-20 was used to power the Nakajima 'Kikka' jet fighter the only jet powered Japanese fighter to reach test flight status before the end of the war.

The Kriegsmarine it seems were very impressed by the size of the IJN I class submarines but they gave then some help to ensure they could travel back home safely by ftting them out with the latest AAA flak canon. Somewhat ironic, in that the I-29 was ultimately sunk by another submarine and not enemy aircraft.

Moky

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back